Remove Brown Algae How Do I

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Rdrb, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

Hey guys I have a planted tank where I saw some brown algae like substance in some Of the leaves of my plants placed in the front region was wondering whether I brush it off and remove with a siphon or the problem is very serious and I must remove the plant asap

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

If it's a newly planted tank it's most likely Diatoms and can be easily brushed off and siphoned up or if you get a nerite they should make quick work of it. Manual removal is usually best as to not stunt any plant growth.

3. OP
    OP
    Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

Ok right thanks are diatoms rough in nature while feeling them? Also how can I differentiate brown algae and diatoms

4. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

I used a soft cooking brush to remove diatoms in my tank. It works really well. I think mine lasted about 3 weeks, then it went away.

I think brown algae is much tougher to remove, as diatoms almost float away just by moving water around or above it. If your tank is newly set-up, it’s most probably diatoms.

If you don’t have any algae eaters, and your cycle is done, you could add some as they will help with the diatoms.

With a few algae eaters and regular manual intervention, they should go away.

5. Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

Otocinclus catfish are amazing algae cleaners. I put 6 in my 10 gal. Every surface in my tank had algae and in 2 weeks it is spotless. Nerites help too. But, watch out for them eggs.

6. OP
    OP
    Rdrb

RdrbValued MemberMember

My fear is my water quality isnt that great it's kinda bad when I leave a bucket full of water fr 2 days the salt is in heaps at the bottom of the bucket and some are floating I remove the floating ones with a net and be aware of not adding the bottom salt by accident of course its mandatory to have a dechlorinator but I didntt have at the moment so was wondering whether it could even be that dumb salt deposits btw gonna get corydoras for the bottom