Remove Aggressive Fish From A Tank ?

Jayhere

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question to all the aquarium fish keeping experts here.

PLEASE, could you let me know ( and not just me) how to remove an aggressive fish from my aquarium without destroying all the tank aquascape.

It would be easy, if I had only few plants, no rocks, flat bottom in a tank... BUT...

Problem #1 ( fast moving fish that hides very well)
the culprit is: Pelvicachromis pulcher ( KRIB)
MALE
not too old..maybe 8 month to a year

Problem #2

larger tank ( about 100 gallons)

Problem #3

lots of rocks and plants to escape to and hide behind

Problem#4

a stupid owner who put this fish in a community tank

ANY solution to get this "bully" out of the tank without removing everything from the tank?

I promise, I will not get this fish again.... yes.. you guessed it... I did the same thing few years back, but this is the last time I got this fish... It can become way too aggressive, and suddenly too. I believe, one of the blue ram breeding female was killed by this krib ( harassed to death).
Male blue ram is standing his ground... but this KRIB fish has to go... I have tried twice already.. just cannot get him out... too expensive to destroy the whole tank to get that stupid fish out??!!!

KRIB.. never again.. unless you put them on their own.. but I guess, even that you cannot do, as they get aggressive even towards each other.. have seen it before...

IF ANYBODY HAS AN IDEA how to get this fish out of my tank.. PLEASE, let me know...

( at night with a flash light...would that work???) just got an idea...???

thanks for your replies :)

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve seen a couple posts where people have made snail traps and accidentally caught fish. Maybe try that deliberately?
I wouldn’t do that. I’ve seen a couple of posts with people doing this and then ending up with the fish dying in the trap.

If you did do it, try to do it with a lot of small holes in the trap to allow water movement.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn’t do that. I’ve seen a couple of posts with people doing this and then ending up with the fish dying in the trap.

If you did do it, try to do it with a lot of small holes in the trap to allow water movement.
Good to know. Just the first thought that came to mind was trapping it somehow.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does it come to the surface when you feed it?

Too easy if the answer is yes.

I sort my male from female guppies at feeding time, easy.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a giant danio like this. One day I was using a clear plastic bag to get water out. Was sending several samples to Auburn University. Anyway, this dingy fish swam right into it. I said gotcha! Finally. Then felt bad and put him back in. Guess I’m stuck with him forever. Lol. Good luck!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the idea of cutting a bottle into 3/4 from the top, taking off the lid and invert the top into the bottom part abd make a trap. Add some food in there, and leave for a couple of mins - have a timer on a phone or something. Check back every 5 mins or so, and once caught the fish in question rehome to a convenient tank- or petstore!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Corner it with a net (you can use a divider to trap it in one side of the tank to cut down on the size you have to chase it down in) and use a second net to chase it into the net (there is no difference in color that they can see, they feel the nets moving so they try to avoid it).
If it is tempted by food it makes it easier to corner it.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use the cups bettas come in. I also use clean, fish safe bowls, the bigger the better. Sometimes using a cup and a bowl at the same time to corner the fish and then scoop them out with Which ever one they swim into. Good luck!

Jayhere

Reaction score
Yes..definitely not funny .....I have tried the idea to corner the "devil"....no..very quick...it finds its way out......I cannot really use a divider as the bottom of my tank is sloped and with different levels of substrate..ha....I have rocks at the back wall of the tank with small crevasses where he escapes..I have just built a perfect environment for this fish and a great nightmare for myself....

The only idea I have seen which might.....might....work is to built some kind of trap with a sliding door...I have seen some on Amazon...like $50..geee...I do not want to spend that money on a fancy fish trap..... the pop bottle DIY track might work..but I am almost 100% sure that I will be pulling this trap out of the water 100 times and always with the wrong fish in it.....this "**** fish" is much smarter than an average guppy or even tetra and it would be the last fish getting in that trap, if at all...

It looks like I might have to use some harpoon on it...or special alien:blackalien: tool still to be discovered....

still a work in progress.. like I would have nothing else to do...ops:

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Find out where he "sleeps" after lights out. Then while the tank is in night time mode you might be able to catch the resting krib while he's still half asleep. You'd have to do it in the dark, but it can be done.

Jayhere

Reaction score
yes... I will try the night fishing..haha.. even though, I am afraid in the dark :nailbiting:

I doubt I can do it....

I have found some pictures of a DIY fish trap when :;bananahisearching thru some of those saltwater/reef tank forums...as those guys have to deal with some nasty aggressive fish too..haha

here is a link for that DIY TRAP..check it out.. if the link works...time for a beer now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom