Remote electronic ballast...

pepetj

HI you all:

I am working on DIY lighting upgrade using the standard plastic lamp covers that come with aquarium kits or in some instances a high pressure PVC DIY semicircular lamp reflector/assembly.

I am pushing the space limits to increase light output (e.g. fitting a 24" long lamp into a 22-3/4" long lamp assembly, details of this later) so I am using multiple lamps electronic ballasts (e.g. OSRAM Quicktronic QTP2x32T8/UNV ISN-SC for two F17T8 at 6500K; ULTRAMAX GE432MAX-N/Ultra for three F40T8 at 10,000K) that I should not/cannot place inside the lamp assembly.

Is it safe to ground the electronic ballast (by placing it with nuts and bolts) in the metallic structure of say the aquarium stand? Should I then ground the stand or can I leave it floating?

Thanks
Pepetj
Santo Domingo

JoJo

You definetly can't leave the ground floating, and I wouldnt recommend grounding it on the stand because if you don't have a good ground off the stand you can actually get a capacitance voltage off your ballast if its grounding out. Try this out it might help you save some space. Try something I would call a ballast box. basicly its a box independent from the lights on the tank. Buy a 3 prong standard plug from your hardware store and a length of cable to go to the ballast box and then from that to your lighting circuit. Keeping your ballasts separate from the aquarium may help you out a lot when it comes to space, and also it may look neater and be safer. It should be inexpensive to do. Let me know if you like this idea, I am an electrician. If you have a photo and don't quite understand what I am talking about lemme know.

JoJo

I forgot to ask what type of voltage is in you country 110v or 220v, if you can take a picture of the ballasts your using I can look up the type of box I am talking about to give you an idea.

pepetj

Voltage here is the same as in US 127V AC.

Check two of the ones I-m working with:

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

JoJo

You can make a wooden box and mount the ballasts to the sides or the bottom whatever, just make sure you put washers underneath the ballast to help with heat distribution so that there is space between the ballast and the plywood. I wasn't sure what type of ballasts you were using but those are pretty common ballasts with little or no load (amperage use). Then where you screw down the ballast at, just have a ground wire tied to one of the screws that are holding the ballast down that will be good for your ground. keep the ballasts about 3-4" inches apart and your set. Does this idea help you? You were saying you were fighting for room, you could have the ballast box where you have your pumps and stuff and that leaves you plenty of room ontop the aquarium top for lighting and enough heat distribution so the plastic doesn't melt, plus keeping the ballast away from the heat of the light will help it last longer. What you think?

pepetj

Thank you!

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
pepetj
Replies
Views
opusgamma
Replies