Remodeling Tank Help

05Apollo

Hi! Since fall break has started, I’ve finally found time to redo my fish tank.

I currently have a fully cycled 10G glass aquarium with a Topfin HOB filter (baffled with a half of a plastic cup), heater, LED lights on the hood, silk plants, Mopani log and drift wood piece, a few betta hammocks, three Marimo moss balls, and my black orchid betta, Apollo (curing him of persisting fin rot). I’ve had this tank since June 2019, and Apollo in it since later September 2019.

I have a few questions about what exactly to do when you’re remodeling a tank, as I’ve never done this before. I plan to switch the silk plants for real ones, as well as do a thorough cleaning of his tank.

1. What would the best plant options be? I’ve browsed a lot of websites for options, and I have a few in mind; but I wanted to hear people’s opinions. I’m looking for easy beginner plants that won’t require a huge amount of maintence, for foreground, middle ground, background, and maybe floating.

2. What should I put my betta in while I’m remodeling? I have various glass bowls, a 1 gallon plastic cylinder tank, and the little cup he was brought home from the pet store in. Which would be best for the least amount of stress? I know I’ll have to reacclimate him again, which I plan to do by drip acclimation.

3. If I end up getting new gravel, will that affect my tank cycle? Or if I want to do a thorough cleaning of the current gravel, how do I clean it without losing beneficial bacteria? The tank is cycled, and I’m nervous about messing it up.

4. Should I quarantine my plants first once I get them? If so, for how long, and just in new conditioned water, or from old water taken from the tank? I plan to get them from petco, as that is my local pet store. However, I know Petco’s plants have an infamous reputation for having snails. So I’m curious as what to do.

5. I plan to make this remodeling a big cleanout of his tank, which I’ve had for about a year and a half. Should I try to conserve any of the water currently in his tank, or should I start out completely fresh?

6. Should I change the filter cartridge in the filter? I have not done so since starting the aquarium; I know that this is a big no no because this is where most of the beneficial bacteria lives, and the filter is not falling apart. But I was just wondering because a year does seem like a long time without a change. If I should change it, what is the best way to make sure the bacteria transfer over to the new cartridge and don’t disrupt the cycle?

7. Just any other tips or tricks anyone has for when they’re remodeling an aquarium!

Sorry for all the questions, I’m nervous about this. I will attach a picture of my current aquarium set up if anyone wants a reference. Thank you!

AcornTheBetta

05Apollo said:
Hi! Since fall break has started, I’ve finally found time to redo my fish tank.

I currently have a fully cycled 10G glass aquarium with a Topfin HOB filter (baffled with a half of a plastic cup), heater, LED lights on the hood, silk plants, Mopani log and drift wood piece, a few betta hammocks, three Marimo moss balls, and my black orchid betta, Apollo (curing him of persisting fin rot). I’ve had this tank since June 2019, and Apollo in it since later September 2019.

I have a few questions about what exactly to do when you’re remodeling a tank, as I’ve never done this before. I plan to switch the silk plants for real ones, as well as do a thorough cleaning of his tank.

1. What would the best plant options be? I’ve browsed a lot of websites for options, and I have a few in mind; but I wanted to hear people’s opinions. I’m looking for easy beginner plants that won’t require a huge amount of maintence, for foreground, middle ground, background, and maybe floating.

2. What should I put my betta in while I’m remodeling? I have various glass bowls, a 1 gallon plastic cylinder tank, and the little cup he was brought home from the pet store in. Which would be best for the least amount of stress? I know I’ll have to reacclimate him again, which I plan to do by drip acclimation.

3. If I end up getting new gravel, will that affect my tank cycle? Or if I want to do a thorough cleaning of the current gravel, how do I clean it without losing beneficial bacteria? The tank is cycled, and I’m nervous about messing it up.

4. Should I quarantine my plants first once I get them? If so, for how long, and just in new conditioned water, or from old water taken from the tank? I plan to get them from petco, as that is my local pet store. However, I know Petco’s plants have an infamous reputation for having snails. So I’m curious as what to do.

5. I plan to make this remodeling a big cleanout of his tank, which I’ve had for about a year and a half. Should I try to conserve any of the water currently in his tank, or should I start out completely fresh?

6. Should I change the filter cartridge in the filter? I have not done so since starting the aquarium; I know that this is a big no no because this is where most of the beneficial bacteria lives, and the filter is not falling apart. But I was just wondering because a year does seem like a long time without a change. If I should change it, what is the best way to make sure the bacteria transfer over to the new cartridge and don’t disrupt the cycle?

7. Just any other tips or tricks anyone has for when they’re remodeling an aquarium!

Sorry for all the questions, I’m nervous about this. I will attach a picture of my current aquarium set up if anyone wants a reference. Thank you!
1. It really depends on lighting and your substrate situation so it is hard to really say what the best plants would be. I will work out some the the details below.

2. I put my betta in a 1g glass bowl as he is only going to be in there for 2 hours max and it was the biggest container I had.

3. I don't think it would effect your cycle that much as a lot of the BB lives in the filter. As for substrate, I would recommend doing a dirted tank. If you are considering this, PM me and I can answer your questions. For a dirted tank you could do some easy plants such as hornwort, guppy grass, Dwarf Sag, anacharis etc.

4. I bleach dip my plants. Here's my article on this topic: Bleach Dip

5. I would conserve a gallon or two and have a fresh start for the rest.

6. I would not change the cartridge, instead, I would leave it in there and put a new one in behind it. This way the BB from the current one grows on the new one and after a few weeks, remove the original one and only have the new one. On a side note, when you drain the tank, make sure to keep the filter media submerged as any time more than 30 minutes out of water will kill BB.

05Apollo

AcornTheBetta said:
1. It really depends on lighting and your substrate situation so it is hard to really say what the best plants would be. I will work out some the the details below.

2. I put my betta in a 1g glass bowl as he is only going to be in there for 2 hours max and it was the biggest container I had.

3. I don't think it would effect your cycle that much as a lot of the BB lives in the filter. As for substrate, I would recommend doing a dirted tank. If you are considering this, PM me and I can answer your questions. For a dirted tank you could do some easy plants such as hornwort, guppy grass, Dwarf Sag, anacharis etc.

4. I bleach dip my plants. Here's my article on this topic: Bleach Dip

5. I would conserve a gallon or two and have a fresh start for the rest.

6. I would not change the cartridge, instead, I would leave it in there and put a new one in behind it. This way the BB from the current one grows on the new one and after a few weeks, remove the original one and only have the new one. On a side note, when you drain the tank, make sure to keep the filter media submerged as any time more than 30 minutes out of water will kill BB.
Okay, I will keep all of this in mind. Thank you so much!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom