Remineralization on a Cichlid tank vs a shrimp tank

Ryan921

Hey guys,

I recently switched to RO water for all my tanks in lite of very hard tap water proving problematic in our pursuit of overall stability.

Being that our tanks were originally filled with high GH/KH water, we hadn’t been overtly concerned about remineralization for the first few weeks. We had reached relative homeostasis on our shrimp tanks, but recently established a 125 gallon South American Cichlid tank.

Will something like saltyshrimp shrimp mineral supplements be adequate for a Cichlid tank as well, or would you recommend we open the door to more complex means?

Ryan921

Depending on the species in that tank you can use straight up RO, but add tannins/humic acids instead of GH salt. The botanical substances buffer the pH in a low range of 5 to 6.5.

Thank you. Would you recommend peat granules in the filtration or something else? My knowledge on this particular aspect of the process is limited at best.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Peat is good, long term I would think about a solution based on botanicals. Eheim and Fluval are both thinking about stopping to offer peat due to sustainability issues.

But just to make sure, what's the stocking of the tank?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • b3thwashingt0n
  • Snails
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
TClare