Remedy Ph Levels

Discussion in 'pH' started by cbowlincatfish, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfishValued MemberMember

Checked all of my levels today, and finally got my nitrate to a 0 but my PH was very low (6.2) I
    put 3 teaspoons of baking soda in the tank and will recheck the tank this afternoon to see what the level is, does any one have a suggestion as how to keep it up, never had this problem before until recently.

2. Butterbean

ButterbeanValued MemberMember

Why are you wanting your nitrate at 0 /That is usually a sign your tank is not cycled. A cycled tank will have some nitrates all the time. If I have missed something/problem you are having in a another post then forgive me but no nitrates is not really a good sign.

3. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Low buffering capacity from a low KH can cause pH crashes. I'd add some crushed coral in a filter bag to your filter to raise the KH. This will keep the KH up and as a result, the pH up.

4. anzValued MemberMember

I agree with cbowlincatfish.
    However, there are some things you can do to keep the PH up in your tank. Put crushed coral in your filter. Use a mesh filter media bag or you can use a never used pantyhose. Just put a couple of tablespoons in the bag and keep it in your filter.

You can also use African Cichlid sand by CaribSea. This is what I use in my tank and it keeps my ph around 7.4 or 8.0 (it's hard for me to distinguish between the two colors).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

5. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Be careful with using baking soda: it is really easy to use the wrong amount and as a result cause too large a ph swing. Crushed coral acts slower, so as a result you won't see the difference right away, but it is a much safer way to adjust ph.

6. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Thanks everybody

7. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

:;du Thread moved to pH forum.

I agree, baking soda is dynamite on KH and pH.
    What recipe did you use, 3 tsp in 55G seems a lot to me

8. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

While baking soda can still be used effectively, be careful when using it. I used it carelessly and killed a cory. I prefer crushed coral though as it's a safer method.

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I agree that when you NEED that boost its a great way to go, personally I like to dose in buckets outside of the tank and then add so that I know I can mix up what im looking for.

As a long term solution if your KH stays too low Crushed coral is to me a much better option.

10. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

It just depends on the situation. If your GH is good then dosing baking soda can help deal with a kh problem, but assuming your GH is low also which is often the cause for an unstable kh then going with crushed coral (or better, aragonite) is the real long term solution.

11. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I am not sure what KH and GH stand for so please tell me, I have never seen crushed coral in my local stores but will check around and start using it.

12. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

13. beginner

beginnerValued MemberMember

gh is general hardness, I believe it disovled salt. kh is carbonate hardness aka temporary hard, it stuff you can remove by boiling your water

14. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

The crushed coral tends to be sold in large bags in the saltwater fish section of stores. You won't need a large bag, but unfortunately they don't usually sell small amounts. You may also want to buy a mesh bag to put some crushed coral into, and then put the bag in the filter.

15. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice