Remedies on hand

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are there any betta remedies that can be kept on hand should one need them or do they all have to be purchased at the time? Is there any sort of shelf life on the Melafix or Pimafix that I've heard mentioned around here?

I was just thinking if there were maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some to have in the house should I need it at some point and not have the means to go and get it.

Thanks!!

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea...I have some on hand after the death of poor Darth now, even some for stuff I've never heard of.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would definitely keep Melafix and Pimafix on hand (and do) but I also have an extensive pharmacy of things like the Fungus Clear Tank Buddies, Triple Sulfa, E.M. Tablets, Epsom Salts, Clout, Furan-2, StressCoat, and of course my freezer always has a bag of frozen peas. There are a lot of other things I have but do not use anymore due to being disillusioned by them so I will not mention them.

Rose

p.s. I am not recommending you go out and buy all of those things, just listing the things I use and keep on hand, but you have an entirely different fish set-up and would have to decide how extensive you want their pharmacy to be.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok. I was just looking for some common remedies (like the Melafix and Pimafix) and wanting to see if they could be kept until needed.

I have been meaning to get the bag of frozen peas (since they are so cheap) but keeping forgetting when I am at the darn store.

It can't hurt to be too prepared, right?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just keep on hand a medication for bacterial stuff (like finrot) and parasitic stuff (like ich). That will cover most common diseases in a pinch. Oh, I also have aquarium salt and Stress Coat. That's a good idea to keep a bag of peas on hand. I will have to remember to make my mum buy some when I get my Bettas.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It seems a silly thing to say, but with all the trouble the little Betta has with constipation, the bag of peas just might be the most importiant ingredient in your bag of tricks. I use it WAY more often that anything else. Even my little ones are pretty disciplined when it comes to being fed (except I haven't gotten all the girls trained yet), constipation CAN hit a healthy well disciplined Betta. Just be sure to keep some on hand.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I will definitely keep some peas on hand (if they will eat them) since both of my boys have had constipation issues. Raspy has been in the clear for quite some time now but he had it pretty bad a few months back.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom