Relocating A 10g And 20g Long

MargaretMurphy55

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all~

I will be moving houses soon and I am stressing out about my tanks! I have a ten gallon and a 20 gallon long with substrate, plants, rocks, and obviously fish in it. I would really appreciate any tips and tricks for relocating fish tanks. My significant other brought up an important point that if I keep my gravel in there, the bottom might give out.

Please help!!

Raimy101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The first piece of advice I'll give is drain about 2/3 the water first before you try and catch fish to put them in bag or bucket for transport. Then drain as much water as possible from the tank.
Remove any decorations and rocks that can fall when the tank is empty. The gravel or sand can stay in.
Don't worry too much if you have to uproot plants to catch all the fish. I had to pull everything because my khuli's are sneaky and slip through the tiniest gap when dodging the net.
Keep your filter media wet in bag. Don't worry too much about it not having flow for a few hours. It'll bounce back shortly.

And more advice
Save some (about 1/2) of the water that was in your tanks for filling up at your new location. 5 gallon buckets work well for this as well as transporting fish in them. The idea behind this is to have water to mix with your new water source since it's parameters may be different and won't stress The fish as much.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fill a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 of the way with tank water, put your fish in it. Fill another one 3/4 of the way, put your filter media, live plants, etc., in it. Drain each tank most of the way (do a GOOD vacuuming now) and pick it up and put in on a flat surface (a piece of plywood in a back seat, van floor, Subaru hatch, etc.) and then cover it with Saran-wrap or a garbage bag and go. Put a tight lid on the buckets of fish and water and youre all set. Its pretty simple, dont overthink it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom