Relatively new to co2 injection

  • Thread starter Nickguy5467
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
and for now im using the extreme waste of money "Fluval Co2 Kit" as its all i know how to use right now. does anyone recommend a Regulator for beginners? preferably with both working and whatever they call is left in the cylinder pressure? ill probably just start out with paintball cylinders. ive learned that much at least. i found places you can buy a painball cylinder adapter
 

Troutmaster07

New Member
Member
Messages
9
I got the fluval co2 kit....I've made a tank last almost 3 weeks by just running it for 5 hours a day....my plants are really starting to respond. I'm like you, it was all I could afford so I'm making it work.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
Troutmaster07 said:
I got the fluval co2 kit....I've made a tank last almost 3 weeks by just running it for 5 hours a day....my plants are really starting to respond. I'm like you, it was all I could afford so I'm making it work.
yeah im running mine at 6 hours a day. but having to re-adjust the co2 flow every single day just sucks, i tried an inline solenoid but quickly learned that the fluval "regulator" doesnt regulate anything you just have a valve that changes flow. so that part of my tubing exploded. also after learning how to use a drop checker and lvls of co2 needed in your tank. its harder to make a cartridge last at all

i want to get these, but i dont know if the regulator at $150 is too much to start out of not
1596252198704.png
 

Troutmaster07

New Member
Member
Messages
9
I'm saving my money to get a good setup now that I see the benefits. Yeah I blew mine up too!! That valve is hard to get adjusted just right, it takes a few checks to make sure it hasn't slowed down or sped up. Its a pain!!
 

tuggerlake26

Active Member
Member
Messages
275
Honestly I've been using DIY yeast and have been seeing great results. I refresh mine every three weeks. My plants are growing so much I have to trim them several inches every week. Might be something to test.
 

mrjohn

Well Known
Member
Messages
596
Definitely look into craigslist and facebook marketplace as well. I just got an awesome deal on a bunch of stuff. Gentleman was getting out of the hobby and just wanted everything gone. I got a complete c02 setup, a fluval 3.0 light, fluval 306 canister filter, 100 watt heater, fertz, buffers, plants, etc. All for $180. Find someone who wants out and they'll part on the cheap side.

I had a post about this because I was sort of lost on this guys setup. He customized it to work with the canister filter and I had a lot of questions. Youtube had me figuring out the regulator, solenoid, and tank in a few minutes. Keep at it and keep looking on those sites!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
mrjohn said:
Definitely look into craigslist and facebook marketplace as well. I just got an awesome deal on a bunch of stuff. Gentleman was getting out of the hobby and just wanted everything gone. I got a complete c02 setup, a fluval 3.0 light, fluval 306 canister filter, 100 watt heater, fertz, buffers, plants, etc. All for $180. Find someone who wants out and they'll part on the cheap side.

I had a post about this because I was sort of lost on this guys setup. He customized it to work with the canister filter and I had a lot of questions. Youtube had me figuring out the regulator, solenoid, and tank in a few minutes. Keep at it and keep looking on those sites!
heh, unfortunately orange county CL doesnt seem to have many posts about such things
 

mrjohn

Well Known
Member
Messages
596
Nickguy5467 said:
heh, unfortunately orange county CL doesnt seem to have many posts about such things
It was sort of weird. I searched for a c02 setup a week before and absolutely nothing came up. Then I saw this guy post everything in a Facebook group for aquariums in this area. It happens quick. Maybe you'll get lucky!
 

deadhead

Active Member
Member
Messages
249
Check out Aquatek regulators. You can get a 5 gallon co2 tank from any local welding supply warehouse which will last around a year or more before needing a fill up. You can put together a great CO2 system for under $200 to start and hardly anything in cost after that.
 
  • #10

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,335
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
Vishaquatics said:
This link will help you out: A Complete Pressurized CO2 Guide | 458693 | Plant CO2

Refurbished/recertified tanks with a CO2art regulator is the way to go. Paintball CO2 is fairly expensive long term as the small canisters will need to constantly be filled.
i have a large roll of co2 tubing. so getting that 150 dollar art regulator wouldnt be a bad start? even if the paintball cost can go up . its still probably cheaper than buying this 3 pack of 45g cartridges for almost 50 bucks about every month yeah? but still , what deadhead said. cyclinders the way to go yes?
 
  • #12

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Member
Messages
844
I bought that co2 art setup and a 10lb canister for my 10 gallon tank (the canister size is a bit overkill for a 10 gal tank but at some point I may tear down the 10 gallon and put the co2 on one of my larger tanks), and I highly recommend going with a canister and this setup. Once it was dialed in, I haven't had to touch the set up in months, and there still isn't a noticable drop in my canisters pressure, so I don't think I'll have to touch it for another 6months- a year at least. Can't get much easier than that.

Also just a fyi, you don't *have* to order that glass u piece. That's mostly for if you have a rimless tank and want the tubing to look nicer. But I saw some comments say it doesn't fit on the typical tanks with rims, and I passed on it for that reason and I've had no issues.
 
  • #13

GlennO

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,560
I bought a cheap regulator with bubble counter and solenoid from a home brew supplier (along with one of their tanks) and it's been working very well. However, that co2 Art dual stage regulator is definitely the way to go if you don't mind spending the extra. They have a very good reputation.

I've since bought a second tank because I have to travel about an hour to get them refilled, so being able to swap over tanks and have a few months to get the empty one refilled made the expense worthwhile.
 
  • #14

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,335
CO2Art is most definitely the way to go. I use just the basic regulator for all of my tanks right now. It's high quality, consistent, and reliable. Definitely a life long customer of CO2Art
 
  • #15

deadhead

Active Member
Member
Messages
249
Nickguy5467 said:
i have a large roll of co2 tubing. so getting that 150 dollar art regulator wouldnt be a bad start? even if the paintball cost can go up . its still probably cheaper than buying this 3 pack of 45g cartridges for almost 50 bucks about every month yeah? but still , what deadhead said. cyclinders the way to go yes?
It depends on how often you want to run out of CO2 and make a run for a full tank. Google your area for welding supply warehouses. Call them up and tell them you need a 5 or 10 gallon CO2 tank. I prefer a 5 because they're smaller but they might only have 10's available. No need to buy anything. They rent them but on the first one you have to give a large deposit to cover the cost of the cylindar. After that it's around $20 to swap for a new tank. I have a 5 gallon cyl. on my 55 gallon and it lasts over 1 year.

As far as regulators go I've been using an Aquatek on my tank for at least 18 months now. Never had an issue with it and it costs $70. I would expect the CO2 Art to be a superior regulator since it costs more than double the price. If an Aquatek only lasts 2 years and a CO2 Art lasts well beyond 5 years it's a no brainer but the only thing I can go by is my experience and the word of others.

Why not start a new thread asking"what type of regulator/solenoid people use and how long have you had it"

It really comes down to how much you can spend. It sounds like your little Fluval kit costs more than mine and is a lot more work.

Have fun whatever you do.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
awesome.
 
Top Bottom