Relative Newbie Giving A B-day Gift To My Daughter

cbing

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello to all,

I haven't kept fish for over 15 years now and recently bought my (soon to be) 8 yr. old daughter a new fish tank for her upcoming birthday. Suffice it to say, I made every mistake in the book with my goldfish and betta (yes, in the same unheated tank). Who miraculously lasted many many years together. But in reading through hours of posts here, I realize I had no clue what I was doing. Nitrogen cycle? Temperature requirements? That poor cold betta.

Anyway, I hope to avoid making so many mistakes this go round. I also decided to go fairly large for my daughter's first tank. We bought a 45 gallon tank. I plan on finishing building the stand this weekend and am still purchasing the rest of the set-up, but I know we will have a canister filter (recommendations welcome), probably an in-line heater (possibly with an additional 100W back-up in tank - thoughts?). We will allow Chloe to choose some (but not all) of the decorations which will invariably include a pink castle or some other child friendly nonsense.

She is set on glofish. So the only given as far as fish are concerned are glofish because, well, she's 8 and glofish glow, therefore are super duper cool to an 8 year old girl. I spent some time researching other fish I'd like to see in the tank and came up with some ideas as to stocking the tank (SLOWLY and only after the Nitrogen Cycle has been completed) They are:

Glofish (about 6-7 or so) for the reasons cited above
Angel Fish (2) I'd like angel fish
Powder Blue Gourami (1) beautiful color and different body style
Pearl Gourami (1) same as above
Spotted Rubber nose Pleco (1) I'd like something interesting to look at and to help me keep the bottom clean and to have a fish that occupies a different part of the tank
Siamese Algea Eater (eventually) (1) Any algae help would be welcome
(If not overstocked already some Amano shrimp would be cool, but I'm worried Cherry, Blue or even the larger Amano shrimp will eventually become snacks to the angels.)

Yes, I know the responsibility of keeping the tank clean is mine and not the fish, but any help is welcome - right.

So any thoughts on gear, set-up and stocking would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a few things, the rubber lipped will probably become aggressive towards everything as it gets older. And the siamese algae eater and amano shrimp would compete for the same foods.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!!

I must say, I am happy to see a parent getting their young child a larger tank with appropriate fish rather than a bowl and a goldfish! haha

For the glofish, you will need to get the skirt tetra kind. Not the danio kind. If you want angelfish, you will want to keep your water warm. 80f is the best for angels. Danios like it much cooler.

and DO NOT GET THE GLOFISH SHARKS OR GLOFISH BARBS. They should have never added those fish to their brand! They are not beginner fish and can be aggressive. And most people buying glofish are beginners or children!

As for the rest of the stock...I am guessing the 45g is a 3 foot long tank? If so, I would pick either the angels OR the gouramis but not both. And I wouldn't do more than 2 adult angels in a 3 foot tank.

Also, skirt tetras (glofish) are schooling fish. So 6 is bare minimum, but more is always better. So I suggest like 10 of the tetras

As for the pleco, they are not going to keep the bottom of your tank clean. Quite the opposite actually. they are poop machines! So a pleco increases the bioload a lot and requires more frequent vacuuming/water changes.

I'd skip the SAE as well personally

How about this:
2x angelfish
10x glofish tetras
8-10 corydora catfish for the bottom (all one type as they are shoaling fish)
Bristlenose pleco for the looks, not as a cleaner (I prefer them to rubberlips personally)
NERITE SNAILS FOR ALGAE (they can't reproduce in freshwater don't worry)

As for amano shrimp...I had some in a tank full of angels with zero issues, but it was heavily planted and lots of moss and stuff for them to hide in.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

What type of glo fish would your daughter like? There are glo tetras (glowing white skirt tetras) glo danios (glowing zebra danios) and glo barbs (glowing tiger barbs). There are also glo sharks but you couldn't keep a group of them since they are very territorial.

I can see a few issues regarding your planned stocking. Firstly temperature compatibility. Glo tetras and glo danios both like quite cool water unlike angel fish and pearl gouramis. Glo barbs would probably nip the angelfish and gouramis. Rubber lip plecos also prefer cooler water to pearl gouramis and angelfish.

Siamese algae eaters get quite large and should be kept in groups. They would need a bigger tank too.

No fish will help keep the bottom clean, especially not a pleco. Plecos are poop machines. It is your job to clean the bottom of the tank with a siphon during water changes.

Angels would probably eat amano shrimp. I think all of your fish would eat cherry shrimp or blue dream shrimp since they are very small.

I would do this at 72-74f
10-15 glo danios
10-15 glo tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3-5 female platies or guppies
1 rubberlip pleco
10 amano shrimp
3 nerite snails (excellent algae eaters)

cbing

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow you guys are quick. I'm happy to know I can count on the group should I need quick help. To answer some of the questions above. All she wants are glofish. I'm 100% certain she doesn't know the difference between a Danio, Tetra or Barb, so I can guide her toward the proper species. No glo sharks and no barbs, too limiting. And yes, the tank is 36" in length, a little over a foot wide(12 3/4" if my memory serves) and a little over 2" high.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom