Rehoming mass murderer

wahoo
We have a 15 gallon tank, that we tried to establish with a school of five tiger barbs. Within a few weeks, they were down to two, with the others having been picked to death by a bully fish. We introduced four more. The bully fish killed them too, plus his original tank mate. He's now been alone for almost a year, and is completely healthy. Candidly, we've been hoping he'll just die, so that we can start again with a different breed of fish. My wife has even talked about euthanizing him, and I've been tempted given his past capital crimes. But before I do that, I was wondering whether re-homing a single brutal fish is realistic. I was also wondering if there were other species of fish we might introduce into the tank that will co-exist even with an angry tiger barb. I can't return him to the fish store, as he came from Petco and they won't take live returns.

thoughts?

Crimson_687
Please do not euthanize him.

That’s funny that your Petco won’t rehome. The Petcos near me all have adoption programs for unwanted fish (they have a separate tank where they keep surrendered fish and hobbyists can get them for next to nothing, as long as they’re able to provide a home), but I guess every store is different. The ones in my area boast a very good fish dept and the staff that work in it are quite knowledgeable and genuinely care fir the fish.

You could try another Petco. I’m assuming it’s been longer than 30 days as that is their return policy. Another petco may offer to take him back tho.

You could also try asking a non-chain store to take him. They usually take in fish.

If you have any neighborhood groups, you can try that. If your region has a social fish keeping group, maybe through Facebook or Pinterest, you may find someone to take him locally.

Otherwise, you can post an add on fishlore. Someone will probably take him, but you may have to ship him

Anixandria
Oh jeez, that’s horrible! Getting a bully is always sad. I had one that I couldn’t bear to euthanize so I put it in “time out” (it’s own 5g tank) for a while and that helped him learn to behave if he wants friends. It doesn’t seem like that will work for you though. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to take in an known murderer. Sorry!

A201
Tiger Barbs are one of my favorites.
I think there are 14 or 15 of them in my 65 gal. Most, if not all of them are male.
You might try adding 5 or 6 male TB's as well as 6 or 7 Zebra Danios. That should just about max out your tank.
Don't forget the weekly 50% water change. Especially important in a small tank.

20200802_095237.jpg

MacZ
wahoo said:
thoughts?
Yeah, 15 gallon are too small for tiger barbs and I know that kind of behaviour only from stressed fish in cramped tanks with no/little cover.

Can we have a look at the tank in question?

Mii
wahoo said:
We have a 15 gallon tank, that we tried to establish with a school of five tiger barbs. Within a few weeks, they were down to two, with the others having been picked to death by a bully fish. We introduced four more. The bully fish killed them too, plus his original tank mate. He's now been alone for almost a year, and is completely healthy. Candidly, we've been hoping he'll just die, so that we can start again with a different breed of fish. My wife has even talked about euthanizing him, and I've been tempted given his past capital crimes. But before I do that, I was wondering whether re-homing a single brutal fish is realistic. I was also wondering if there were other species of fish we might introduce into the tank that will co-exist even with an angry tiger barb. I can't return him to the fish store, as he came from Petco and they won't take live returns.

thoughts?
Just put him in his own 5-10 gallon tank. 10 would be best but 5 would be fine and you probably don't want to spend a ton of money on one evil tiger barb.

DoubleDutch
Mii said:
Just put him in his own 5-10 gallon tank. 10 would be best but 5 would be fine and you probably don't want to spend a ton of money on one evil tiger barb.
This simply isn't true and not the correct thing to do. If humans tend to keep them under the wrong circumstances compared to their behaviour (no offense to the OP btw) we can't keep the fish accountable for doing this. Tigers need a big shoal in a space that is sufficient to expose their natural behaviour, to flee and hide when need etc etc... Fish aren't born as evil fish only we call it evil as it doesn't do what we expect.
I am pretty sure when the fish is rehomed to a proper shoal and a proper spaced tank
it will be tame as a lamb.

Punishing it by keeping it singe in a 10/15G tank seriously is the wrong way to deal with this.

Mii
DoubleDutch said:
This simply isn't true and not the correct thing to do. If humans tend to keep them under the wrong circumstances compared to their behaviour (no offense to the OP btw) we can't keep the fish accountable for doing this. Tigers need a big shoal in a space that is sufficient to expose their natural behaviour, to flee and hide when need etc etc... Fish aren't born as evil fish only we call it evil as it doesn't do what we expect.
I am pretty sure when the fish is rehomed to a proper shoal and a proper spaced tank
it will be tame as a lamb.

Punishing it by keeping it singe in a 10/15G tank seriously is the wrong way to deal with this.
I didn't suggest this to "punish" it, i was just saying that if it's either keep this fish alone, or have it kill everything else, I'd say keep it alone. That's all.

Vivo
A local fish store will probably re home. Let the store know of the history so they can keep an eye out for aggression. I understand you probably don't want to repeat the same stress inducing experience by reintroducing fish. You were kind not to euthanize him. I would just do your research on tank mate again to remind yourself, and re home. I'm sure it has been a heart breaking experience.

wahoo
Sorry for the delayed reply, and thanks for all the feedback. Last night I was able to re-home the murderous fish with an experienced new owner who has a 75 gallon tank. We connected on craigslist, after I struck out with local stores. I gave him the fish's full history, and he's going to give integrating him a go after he does a stint in quarantine. Here's to hoping for a good outcome.

FishBoy101
wahoo said:
Sorry for the delayed reply, and thanks for all the feedback. Last night I was able to re-home the murderous fish with an experienced new owner who has a 75 gallon tank. We connected on craigslist, after I struck out with local stores. I gave him the fish's full history, and he's going to give integrating him a go after he does a stint in quarantine. Here's to hoping for a good outcome.
Good Luck!!!!!

Basil
wahoo said:
Oh good! Does he already have tiger barbs in his 75? It’s a great size for them!

Vivo
Thanks for letting us know!

Mii
Hope he doesn't kill them

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom