Rehoming Fish And Adding More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billyboj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This sounds kind of silly, but if I have to relocate fish to another tank could I add a larger number of fish to the tank they came from since the bio load wouldn't actually change?

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends one which fish they are, say you have a 40 gallon with some huge goldfish, you have 2-3 goldfish say

You can move the goldfish out, and stock that 40 with something like 20 fish and the bioload won't/shouldnt be much different

Different fishes give off different biload, so what you couldn't do, is take the goldfish out, and add 4 plecos
one that's too many plecos
two they have a large bioload.

Billyboj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm taking out two Chinese algea eaters(about two inches), two guppies and two zebra danio and two porkchop rasbora. Hoping to add a small school of cherry barbs. I don't think that would be a problem since the lfs in my area only sell very small cherry barbs, maybe an inch maximum.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
So I'm taking out two Chinese algea eaters(about two inches), two guppies and two zebra danio and two porkchop rasbora. Hoping to add a small school of cherry barbs. I don't think that would be a problem since the lfs in my area only sell very small cherry barbs, maybe an inch maximum.
I don't see a problem with that plan. I would think the original bacteria could easily handle the bio-load of at least 8 cherry barbs possibly even up to 10.

Billyboj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was just thinking 6 to start. I want to feel out how they act around my current fish before I get that many.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I was just thinking 6 to start. I want to feel out how they act around my current fish before I get that many.
I didn't think about the fact you were taking some out but are leaving others in there. I agree, 6 is probably a better number. Watch them closely. The only barbs I have ever had were tiger barbs and they terrorized both each other and the other fish in the tank. I was actually happy to see them go back to the pet store.

Billyboj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the barbs should be fine, I have seen that they may fin nip. I'm more worried about the minor tetra that I have. I have some fish that I purchased a small schools then a couple died off from stress of being moved and an accidental mini cycle. so two pairs that used to be in small schools which are going to a tank where they won't be harassed by larger faster tetra.

Last edited:

Billyboj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright so I found cardinal tetra. Needless to say I got 6 and will be doing the move later tonight I'm excited, I haven't been able to find these fish anywhere.

Billyboj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well after adding the cardinals and some of my plastic plants there was a short period of the minor tetra chasing them, only lasted about 5 minutes. Now the fish are getting along, intermixing, and the cardinals are eating. Guess the minors just didn't like the other fish lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 25 67.6%

Top Bottom