Rehoming A Fish With Very Specific Needs That No One Wants

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Immyb, Apr 10, 2017.

1. I

Immyb Valued Member Member

I was missold a Ceylon puffer (tetraodon fluviatilis) online when it was clearly stated to be a "tetraodon biocellatus" (figure eight puffer). I have neither the space nor money for a 55 gallon tank for him, and I don't think he will thrive in my 30 gallon setup as he matures to be an 8 inch fish (5 inches bigger than expected!). The problem is that I live in very rural England, and none of my Lfs will consider trying to take a brackish fish. It's really sad because I have grown very attached to him and I have no idea how to rehome him. He's only 2" big at the moment, but I'm sure that will soon change. Any advice on how to rehome him? How long will it be until the 30 gallon stunts his growth/affects him physically?

2. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

honestly, just like your title indicates, i think you will be hard pressed in finding someone who can take care of it as good as you can.

in home aquariums they usually reach max out at 6in on avg and that is considered big. if you manage to keep the water super clean you might get away with the 30gallon even tho it isnt ideal since you dont have much option.
    i wouldnt trust a noob since these are more advanced fish, said noob would have to be very diligent and not ignore water quality.

1 fish in 1 large tank is a weird concept to lot of people and maybe discouraged, unless you have a good sales pitch; compatible tank mates are scarce and not for the beginner anyway, they arent terribly colorful and the puffer might kill them. for a fish like this water changes are rather mandatory as other lazy cleaning methods are in direct conflict with this fish's natural habits i.e. it eat snails and it's in brackish water.

3. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

The company you bought him from missold him to you under false pretense - so send him back. It isn't hard to ship fish.

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would contact the company and see if they will take him back and offer you a credit since they have mislabeled their fish.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Usually your situation is someone wanting a mess cleaned up for them - but in your situation, the problem comes from the vendor. It's a danger with online sales, for certain, and I'll wager they will not take the fish back. You can try.

Otherwise, your hands are tied and you have a new pet that no one will take. Some fish can be hard to rehome, and the more exotic our fish interests, the fewer people we share them with. This is very much a guppies and Betta forum, but maybe if you know how to ship, you can find a puffer group online and see if someone can help.

6. OP
    OP
    I

Thanks for the replies everyone - i am very obsessed with my husbandry and I'm not sure I could live with a puffer in sub-optimal tank conditions. Of course I have a couple of years before it's a massive concern. The specific brackish conditions, although not hard to create, are more complex than tropical and the weekly 50% water changes would probably put people off. My main concern is finding a suitable owner who will provide good care, rather than someone who loves how "cute" he is and wants him on a whim. I will contact the place I got him from, although it has been a couple of months after purchase, so their terms may render me helpless. It's a shame I don't have room to get a nice big tank for this beautiful and interesting fish. I'll look at a puffer forum and see if there is anyone nearby, but I expect it will be at least 300 miles until I find someone else who keeps puffers.

This is my little friend. Of course there's also the problem that this species requires high end brackish/full marine as they mature, and the bumblebee goby cohabitants prefer a low end brackish of 1.005-1.008 SG. Hopefully I'll be able to find someone soon
    IMG_5510.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  7. Danjamesdixon

Are you in the UK? Or anywhere near a public aquarium? I've taken large, difficult to handle specimens to London Sealife before and they have welcomed us in with open arms.

8. OP
    OP
    I

Yes I am in the East Midlands, I'll drop them an email. The seller offered a 50% refund but no hope of a return

9. Danjamesdixon

East Midlands you say? Whereabouts?

10. OP
    OP
    I

In Rutland, bordering on Leicestershire

11. Danjamesdixon

There are plenty of Sea Life Centres around you; Birmingham, London (a bit far but central), and so on. They would all be willing I imagine.

12. OP
    OP
    I

Thank you very much, I didn't realise they would take on someone's pet. I'll do some emailing :)

13. Danjamesdixon

You're welcome :) I can put you in contact with someone from London Sea Life if you don't have any luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice