Rehome Bolivian Ram?

CTYankee79

I got a pair of Bolivian Rams about 2 months ago. In a heavily planted 40 breeder along with 3 Pearl Gouramis, several Sterbai Corys, and 15 Harlequin rasboras.

there was some question as to the sex, most likely it is a male and female though. So the smaller one which is believed to be the male has always been more of the aggressor, however the larger ram has always held her own. They setup camp on opposite sides of the tank, they’d have their face offs in the middle, nothing too violent, and then they would retreat to each other’s respective side of the tank.

however in recent weeks the larger ram is not allowed out of her little corner anymore. She sits under the prefilter sponge all day long and doesn’t show her face. Not even sure if she’s eating. The smaller one has more or less taken over the tank. Again nothing violent but it seems as if the larger ram is scared to come out. Is it time to rehome? I don’t know at what point I’m supposed to do something about this I’m pretty new at it

CTYankee79

Giving myself a bump, anybody have any advice?

CTYankee79

Looking for some help here. Feohw maybe you have some insight? I’d appreciate responses from anybody I’m a bit worried about this Ram. Do I need to change up the scape?

Feohw

I'd try several things to shake things up. You could redo the scape a bit to throw off the territories, and give the less dominant ram a chance to claim a larger area. Make sure that there is some decor blocking the line of sight between each territory, so the more dominant ram won't have to see the other all the time.

If you have a spare tank, you could also remove the dominant ram for a few days. This would give the larger one time to gain confidence and establish a territory without being pestered. Hopefully she will be better able to defend herself if she has had time to establish herself better.

And if the bullying persists, and the larger one is always huddled in a corner showing stress patterns, I would consider rehoming one.

CTYankee79

Thanks a lot, that is a big help.

Its a heavily planted tank so may be difficult to rescape but I will try.

Removing the bully is a great idea, I may try that.

When you say stress patterns are you referring to the vertical dark bars? She definitely has those but she’s always sort of had them, sometimes they get more pronounced (presumably when she’s more stressed).

If all else fails, I will rehome. Thanks again for the help

Feohw

CTYankee79 said:
When you say stress patterns are you referring to the vertical dark bars? She definitely has those but she’s always sort of had them, sometimes they get more pronounced (presumably when she’s more stressed).
Yeah. Some degree of dark markings is normal, especially on darker substrates. But even on lighter substrates they will show these sometimes. As you observed, when they are more pronounced it is generally a good indicator that the ram is stressed. They can be very expressive with their colours.

CTYankee79

Unfortunately, she didn’t make it. It amazed me how quickly this happened, they each owned half the tank for a month or so, then the male starting slowly encroaching on her territory. Maybe two weeks of her hiding from him. Then the other night I saw her sitting on the moss, as dark as night, and she was dead by morning. I feel bad I didn’t do something sooner but honestly i didn’t realize it was as serious as it was. She wasn’t getting physically hurt and she was healthy and eating. But got bullied to death. I know to have a plan in place and react quicker next time I see that behavior. Do you recommend trying to find another mate, or leave him on his own?

Feohw

Bit late, but yeah, stress can be a real killer. If your male didn't appreciate the female in there, and if they each had territories where they wouldn't have to see one another, I wouldn't risk another with him personally. Some rams are better off alone.

CTYankee79

Feohw said:
Bit late, but yeah, stress can be a real killer. If your male didn't appreciate the female in there, and if they each had territories where they wouldn't have to see one another, I wouldn't risk another with him personally. Some rams are better off alone.
Good to know, thanks for the reply. I think I will just keep him alone for now

Top Bottom