Regrow Tail ?

1. Ana Ally

Ana Ally New Member Member

I posted before about my betta botting his fins I got him to stop by adding more plants and doing water changes every other day . Now how do I help him regrow his tail ?

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Keep up with the water changes! IME that's the best way to support your betta's own ability to heal.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

It can take up to 3-4 months depending on your water parameters and how much damage he did. Another thing to consider is that the tail likely won't look the same when it regenerates.

4. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

It'll only take a few weeks. Fins heal fast. Keep the water clean. Took 3 days to heal this split in her fin.
    1f8864e320c4793874fd3aaea2e137ff.jpg

5. tunafax

^ OP's betta is a tail biter though, it's not a split. :(

6. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

I understand that.

7. tunafax

The growth rate of my tail biter right now is 1mm a week, and he chewed off at least 1cm, so that's roughly 10 weeks. This is about right through my entire experience.

Is there a secret to getting 1cm (1/2") in a week? :eek:

8. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

My notorious tail biter I swear is still growing a longer tail fin and he's been jungled out in his tank for a couple months to entertain him and get him to stop biting it. I had absolutely no idea how gorgeous he was and he's still getting even more so. Tail biting seems to do quite a lot of damage compared to a tear or split and takes a while to recover.

9. Abbs12

Abbs12 Valued Member Member

We did every other day water changes for about a month (our tank was not cycled though). We didn't use any meds and this is his before and after. It's still gaining length too! The before is about two months ago.

a0d6dd4582118e90e2c853b753b3f4ad.jpg

be961e08b3ec50d2cd05718f68b806d0.jpg

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I had a rescued halfmoon male that looked like a plakat, but his was due to poor card resulting in fin rot. He recovered almost completely in a couple months before I rehomed him looking quite the stunner.