Regretting my decision

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey everyone,

So a few weeks ago I was at Petsmart when they had a whole bunch of tanks and supplies on sale. I had been thinking about upgrading my 55 gallon for a while and then seemed like the perfect time! I bought a 65 gallon tank with stand and hood on a whim, and now I'm starting to regret my decision. I really should've thought a bit more before sliding my plastic.

I really wish I just went for the way bigger tank. More specifically, the 125 gallon ensemble. Right now I have two tanks of fully compatible fish split between my old 55 gallon and my new 65 gallon. I really wish I just went for the one big tank! It would've been the much smarter decision.

So now I'm stuck with TWO tanks I'm dissatisfied with. It's going to take me a decent amount of time to put aside money for the 125 instead of just charging the whole purchase. Does anyone have tips or ideas on how I could get the 125 quicker? I'd rather not buy a used tank but I'm not totally opposed to the idea. Does anyone have experience buying a used tank? Any success/horror stories?

I'm wondering how much I could get for my two current setups. If it's enough to cover like half of the new tank that would make me happy. According to my number crunching, the 125 would cost me a little over a grand once I buy all the equipment and stuff.
Right now I just feel stupid for impulse buying the 65 gallon.

Reef ninja123124

Reaction score
You could put all your fish in one tank and sell one

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Reef ninja123124 said:
You could put all your fish in one tank and sell one
This is true, but then one tank would be grossly overstocked which wouldn't be healthy for any of my fish

Reef ninja123124

Reaction score
What kind of fish

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

FrankdaTank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My wife bought me 55 online with a stand, hood, heater, canister filter, everything for like $250. Check out Craigslist!

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When did you buy the tank. Petsmart has 60 day return policy.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FrankdaTank said:
My wife bought me 55 online with a stand, hood, heater, canister filter, everything for like $250. Check out Craigslist!
So I should be able to get somewhere between $200-300 for my 55 gallon with eheim canister, stand, light, and hoods. Good to know!

Right now there aren't currently any 125s available in my area on craiglist
I found a 90 gallon but don't want to settle anymore! Lol

LeoDiaz said:
When did you buy the tank. Petsmart has 60 day return policy.
Like 2 weeks ago. Only problem is that it's filled with water and gravel and fish

But now that I'm thinking about it... I may just return it. Hmmm.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How is that one Blue Acara not tempted to eat the other fish? Those things can get about 6 inches.

But that's not the problem. I think you may need to bite the bullet here and either live with what you got or you buy the new tank, and than get that ready and than sell off the other tanks for whatever you can get for.

Will you include the stands, the guts for each tank? Be open for negotiations.

Contact a LFS and ask them if they know anybody intrested in buying a xx gallon tank.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fashooga said:
How is that one Blue Acara not tempted to eat the other fish? Those things can get about 6 inches.

But that's not the problem. I think you may need to bite the bullet here and either live with what you got or you buy the new tank, and than get that ready and than sell off the other tanks for whatever you can get for.

Will you include the stands, the guts for each tank? Be open for negotiations.

Contact a LFS and ask them if they know anybody intrested in buying a xx gallon tank.
He's been quite the anomaly so far. Hasn't touched any of my other fish! I agree. Maybe I should just bite the bullet. Then I could fill out stock and give the silver dollar and my tetras proper schools!

EDIT: I would include stands, lights, and hoods. I would have to use my current filters and upgrade in the future (for the time being, at least).

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since your 65 gal is new & you purchased for a good price - you may be able to recover some of your cost.

Depending on the market in your area you may find someone in your position looking for a used tank. The 65 gal definitely should not be much of a concern for a buyer & you may get a good price - but it is used.

Of course putting it on the market doesn't mean you can't wait for the price you want for either tank.

As far as used - I have had great luck with two 55's purchased used. As I mentioned in a post earlier with philiprapaso - we had a third 55 gal sold as a 2 for 1 & we found the brace cracked & then wondered about the rest of it.

If I purchased anything over a 75 gal personally - I would want to see it set up & running (not in someone's garage). Just my thoughts....

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishy Friends said:
Since your 65 gal is new & you purchased for a good price - you may be able to recover some of your cost.

Depending on the market in your area you may find someone in your position looking for a used tank. The 65 gal definitely should not be much of a concern for a buyer & you may get a good price - but it is used.

Of course putting it on the market doesn't mean you can't wait for the price you want for either tank.

As far as used - I have had great luck with two 55's purchased used. As I mentioned in a post earlier with philiprapaso - we had a third 55 gal sold as a 2 for 1 & we found the brace cracked & then wondered about the rest of it.

If I purchased anything over a 75 gal personally - I would want to see it set up & running (not in someone's garage). Just my thoughts....
That's what I'm deliberating. I don't know whether I should return it the 65 gallon to petsmart or try to sell it used. I'm beginning to think that returning it would be the best option. It's guaranteed cash back in my pocket.

I totally agree about buying used... anything over 55 gallons I would want to see it up and running. The only issue is that everyone around here that sells big tanks (over 75 gallons) usually has a saltwater setup with a sump, live rock, etc and is selling it all as a set. And they usually want over a grand for these setups. Unfortunately, all I need is the tank and stand.

I would prefer to pick out all my own equipment and such. So that's the only issue with finding a 125 gallon used... Maybe I'm too picky. Maybe not. But buying all that extra stuff I'm not even going to use seems counterproductive to me

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought a 25 gallon in November at petsmart the whole kit. I set up gravel decor everything, put my fish in. Six week later I found a 55 gallon I didn't want to have both so I called my local petsmart they said I could return. I clean really well and took it back with 3 days to spare on return policy. Call your petsmart se what they say.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LeoDiaz said:
I bought a 25 gallon in November at petsmart the whole kit. I set up gravel decor everything, put my fish in. Six week later I found a 55 gallon I didn't want to have both so I called my local petsmart they said I could return. I clean really well and took it back with 3 days to spare on return policy. Call your petsmart se what they say.
Awesome! I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
James95 said:
Awesome! I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
The best thing is you get the full price back and taxes.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LeoDiaz said:
The best thing is you get the full price back and taxes.
You guys are making this far too appealing

But really though, thank you for your help! I do appreciate it. I have to think more about this tonight before making yet another impulsive decision. If anyone has anything else to add it's more than welcome!

Meeps83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't think the tank itself is real expensive. Is there a distributor near you that sells tanks? If so, you could make a stand and buy the hood/light fixture separately. The price of buying the supplies for and building the stand and buying the tank may be close to what you payed for that 65. If you can return it you might not really be out much money.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meeps83 said:
I don't think the tank itself is real expensive. Is there a distributor near you that sells tanks? If so, you could make a stand and buy the hood/light fixture separately. The price of buying the supplies for and building the stand and buying the tank may be close to what you payed for that 65. If you can return it you might not really be out much money.
The tank itself is worth around $400, I recently priced one out with my LFS. So for $200 I could probably build a pretty decent stand. My father has a carpentry background so I'm sure he'd led a helping hand

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The plan:
- Go to Petsmart tomorrow and look at the 125 gallon ensemble again (just to be sure I really want it)
- Think about it some more.
- Probably return the 65 gallon next weekend and either:
A.) Put all my fish in the 55 gallon and save up for the 125 gallon.
B.) Purchase the 125 gallon right away (pay it off later) and sell the 55 gallon.

Sounds like a solid plan, right?

EDIT: I know I'm not going to be able to decorate or invest in the 125 gallon the way I want from the get go, but I figure I can make it a gradual ongoing process of equipment upgrades and decorating

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
James95 said:
The plan:
- Go to Petsmart tomorrow and look at the 125 gallon ensemble again (just to be sure I really want it)
- Think about it some more.
- Probably return the 65 gallon next weekend and either:
A.) Put all my fish in the 55 gallon and save up for the 125 gallon.
B.) Purchase the 125 gallon right away (pay it off later) and sell the 55 gallon.

Sounds like a solid plan, right?

EDIT: I know I'm not going to be able to decorate or invest in the 125 gallon the way I want from the get go, but I figure I can make it a gradual ongoing process of equipment upgrades and decorating
What do you mean pay it later does your petsmart have financing or something. The one near me you have to pay straight away.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom