Regarding Hydra

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've just found some hydra in my 20 long that is currently stocked with just snails (ramshorns, nerites, and black devils). I understand they are dangerous for some small fish and fry as well as shrimp. I've heard some snails may eat them but I just want to confirm that they shouldn't actually hurt them.

I don't really mind having them for the time being. If I decide to try and get rid of them how should I go about it though? I understand that most of the chemical methods would hurt my snails and manual removal seems pretty difficult.

20200606_075711.jpg

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're correct, the common chemical treatments for hydra will kill snails. Manual removal is impossible, unless you empty and bleach the tank. They will break apart if you try to manually remove them from the glass, and each piece will grow into a whole new hydra.

However, if the tank is snails only, you can just leave the hydra alone for now. I don't worry about them unless I see them in a tank that contains shrimp. I also wouldn't want them in a tank where fish are breeding. But they cannot harm snails- in fact I have seen one stuck to a snail shell!

OP
Salem

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lilirose said:
You're correct, the common chemical treatments for hydra will kill snails. Manual removal is impossible, unless you empty and bleach the tank. They will break apart if you try to manually remove them from the glass, and each piece will grow into a whole new hydra.

However, if the tank is snails only, you can just leave the hydra alone for now. I don't worry about them unless I see them in a tank that contains shrimp. I also wouldn't want them in a tank where fish are breeding. But they cannot harm snails- in fact I have seen one stuck to a snail shell!
Ah- thank you. I was considering putting ghost shrimp into this tank in the future but looks like they will have to be in my other one.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had them yrs ago and manual removed as many as i could find with a pair of tweezers and let pond snails eat the rest. Took a few months but ive never seen them again.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I used ordinarily de worming powder in a normal dose and killed the hydra in 40 minutes.

A few months later I had them in another tank and had to dose again same result. No cherry shrimp died. No pest snails died. No baby plecos died. No rainbow fry died. The bacteria did not appear to suffer it’s only de worming powder after all .

I brought them into the house in green water from outside tanks that I use for feeding fry.

New Threads