Refugium lights

PatrickShrimp

Would a luxbird par38 light be able to grow some easy corals, namely pulsing Xenia and some leathers, along with macro algae in the display? It is listed as a refugium light, but some of the reviews said it can grow corals just fine. Thoughts?

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope our salty members can help you today

Nart

oh yeah - most definitely. the PAR38 bulb actually puts out a lot of light (PAR) keep it well above 17-20" from the water surface. it's a very direct light output, meaning the light spread is only about 6" in diameter. any corals outside that radius will not receive much lighting because of how the PAR38 bulb is designed. Most folks use it in a pico vase kind of tank.

PatrickShrimp

Really, 17 to 20 inches? That will be an awful lot of light bleeding out around it. Oh well, I guess I’ll put some house plants nearby.

I was going to do a smaller tank, about 10 gallons, for a g. smithiI mantis. I wanted to do a really natural, overgrown look. Like with “pest” corals. Fast growing stuff, annoying, ugly, the kind people find in unkept reefs. Beige leathers, blue clove polyps and pulsing Xenia. Macro algae too. Any other suggestions?

Nart

Yeah - I tested the PAR output on the PAR38 bulbs before, they are crazy strong.
If you can spare the money, look into AI Prime HDs right now, the older generation are on sale for 20% off on MarineDepot and etc...

PatrickShrimp

Those are good prices, but it’s too much for me. A little overkill for a 10 gallon.

Thanks for all the help Nart!

Top Bottom