Question Refugium Ideas

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, so I'm currently setting up a refugium/ sump, and was wondering what else would be useful to add?

I've got:

Cheato algae
LR (can't find marine pure blocks)
Sand
Light
Skimmer
Circulation pump.

Should I add any inverts at all? Or any more macro algae?

Ethan
P.s( the sand and rock is currently dry).

Ethan

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you're good with what you've got there. Inverts are possible, but not necessary. A CUC or any invert in the sump would need to be fed... unless they are algae eaters and you're having algae issues in the sump. Still, I would prefer to manage algae issues via the photoperiod and/or water parameters, as having something like snails to clean sump algae would ultimately raise your bioload. Too high of a bioload is a leading cause of algae issues, so... using snails to clean algae rather than managing it yourself would not be the best way to go.

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
stella1979 said:
I think you're good with what you've got there. Inverts are possible, but not necessary. A CUC or any invert in the sump would need to be fed... unless they are algae eaters and you're having algae issues in the sump. Still, I would prefer to manage algae issues via the photoperiod and/or water parameters, as having something like snails to clean sump algae would ultimately raise your bioload. Too high of a bioload is a leading cause of algae issues, so... using snails to clean algae rather than managing it yourself would not be the best way to go.
Ok, for inverts could I Chuck that large bristle worm with my blenny it Qt? As it was already in the dt before the bioload shouldn't rise much.

Ethan

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update,

So I'm not doing the sump after all... I set it up and drained half my tank onto the floor, so I'll get a canister to fill with bio media. If I can find a clear one I'll put my cheato in.

The main issue was when I turned off the power the pump stopped and it created a reverse Syphon which flooded the tank.

Ethan

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Uh oh... Well, I'm sure you've heard the advice about canisters becoming nitrate factories. They can be a pain to clean so I'd just say be careful with that one. I know you're trying to increase your volume. Have you considered something like an HOB fuge?

OP
Esimm03

Esimm03

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
stella1979 said:
Uh oh... Well, I'm sure you've heard the advice about canisters becoming nitrate factories. They can be a pain to clean so I'd just say be careful with that one. I know you're trying to increase your volume. Have you considered something like an HOB fuge?
I mean if just have cheato in the canister, like grant's setupm I have 2 running on my fw tank and it's not to difficult to clean. I have a sort of refugium on my hob (cheato with a desk light) and lots of LR in there with 2 sponges.

I haven't seen hob refugium a before, are there any good brands/makes I should look at? And are they relitavely cheap?

Ethan

New Threads