Refugium...ideas!?

danielcassar
HI all, I wish to have some opinions regards this refugium set-up!?
any comment or different set-up!?
also my skimmer works in 8 inc water level....is it a good setup refugium to have only 20cm of water level?

Thanks
daniel

Mike
HI Daniel - that's more of a sump than a refugium but it's a good start and good to see you planning ahead.

I'd skip the middle compartment with the phosphate/carbon removers and instead use a couple of media reactors (like this: ). One for biopellets and one for carbon as needed and or you could switch out the carbon for phosphate as needed but I think you'll find that the biopellets will take care of most of it for you. Put the skimmer after the reactors (flow wise) if you do go with biopellets.

danielcassar
Mike said:
HI Daniel - that's more of a sump than a refugium but it's a good start and good to see you planning ahead.

I'd skip the middle compartment with the phosphate/carbon removers and instead use a couple of media reactors (like this: ). One for biopellets and one for carbon as needed and or you could switch out the carbon for phosphate as needed but I think you'll find that the biopellets will take care of most of it for you. Put the skimmer after the reactors (flow wise) if you do go with biopellets.
HI mike, thanks for your reply.
this morning I did some alterations regards to the first setup,
Regards to the media reactors, I don't wish to add more equipment under the aquarium since limit of space and u need another pump to run reactors...
I was thinking that I will shift the media at the first stage...since more flow pass into them......I also increased the depth of the water level....by placing the skimmer on an egg crate (since my skimmer works well on only 20cm water level)...picture included. please feel free to criticise...I need to learn new in this hobby.

Stang Man
Not sure where you got that drawing from but that's not the proper way, Do you even know about what takes place and how to maintain this certain setup?( Salt tank)

Mike
The thing I'd be worried about with all your media at the front end of the flow and stacked that way is channeling happening thereby limiting the media's overall effectiveness at filtering the water. Instead of flowing evenly thru the media the water will find the path of least resistance and start to channel. Assuming you have live rock in the main tank and depending on what you plan on keeping I wouldn't worry so much about running all that media (carbon, phosban, etc) but if you do I wouldn't stack it like you have in the drawings so you don't get the channeling.

Inside the sump, most setups use a filter sock first to filter out the bigger particles, then the skimmer, next comes your reactors (calc, carbon, pellets), and then the return pump.

danielcassar
Stang Man said:
Not sure where you got that drawing from but that's not the proper way, Do you even know about what takes place and how to maintain this certain setup?( Salt tank)
everything is still on the paper...I wish that you show me how to do it in a proper way than....as I said I'm eager to learn.
the thing is that on many forums everyone says that bioballs should be avoided cause of nitrate factory...mine is an old sump system (wet and dry with bioballs) and yet my nitrates levels are around 2 mg/l.

Mike said:
The thing I'd be worried about with all your media at the front end of the flow and stacked that way is channeling happening thereby limiting the media's overall effectiveness at filtering the water. Instead of flowing evenly thru the media the water will find the path of least resistance and start to channel. Assuming you have live rock in the main tank and depending on what you plan on keeping I wouldn't worry so much about running all that media (carbon, phosban, etc) but if you do I wouldn't stack it like you have in the drawings so you don't get the channeling.

Inside the sump, most setups use a filter sock first to filter out the bigger particles, then the skimmer, next comes your reactors (calc, carbon, pellets), and then the return pump.

I understood your point in regards to channelling....just a small note..it wasn't my intention to dose my system with carbon and phospate media alwys....but only when it is needed!..

[/QUOTE]Inside the sump, most setups use a filter sock first to filter out the bigger particles, then the skimmer, next comes your reactors (calc, carbon, pellets), and then the return pump.[/QUOTE]

where to the refugium takes place than!?

do u have an ideal setup drawing or thread for me? so that I can have a look at it.

thanks daniel

Stang Man
Let me make it easy for you the design of the box is correct but like Mike said the media is not necessary, I don't use any filter socks nor media and if I have to then I place a bag full in the skimmer area which is hardly never, please check out my photos on my profile and you will see the designs that I built myself this will help in your build as well. So the drawing you have is this your own build that you are going to attempt or is this something that you will be buying from a coompany?

danielcassar
Stang Man said:
Let me make it easy for you the design of the box is correct but like Mike said the media is not necessary, I don't use any filter socks nor media and if I have to then I place a bag full in the skimmer area which is hardly never, please check out my photos on my profile and you will see the designs that I built myself this will help in your build as well. So the drawing you have is this your own build that you are going to attempt or is this something that you will be buying from a coompany?
Thanks Stang man..... your sump is cool and a nice setup...regards to the first part..the overflow water...is that live rock in that compartment? and how the water flows to the skimmer area from that section?..
the drawing was my sketch...cause I'm going to build the sump. that's why I posted it in this forum so I will receive comments and help.
this is going to be my first DIY sump build....

thanks again

Stang Man
Yes I put live rock rubble in those chambers to quite the noise from the over flow and also adds more bio filtration to the setup. The tank has a built in over flow and is drilled in the bottom of the tank, from there I have it plumbed to the baffle then to the refugium and that is where it ends and the water that flows into the refuge then goes back into the sump prior to the bubble trap. I have bult several sumps so if you need any thing please feel free to ask!

danielcassar
Stang Man said:
Yes I put live rock rubble in those chambers to quite the noise from the over flow and also adds more bio filtration to the setup. The tank has a built in over flow and is drilled in the bottom of the tank, from there I have it plumbed to the baffle then to the refugium and that is where it ends and the water that flows into the refuge then goes back into the sump prior to the bubble trap. I have bult several sumps so if you need any thing please feel free to ask!
Thanks stang man!
just an opinion...what do you think is best...5mm glass thickness or 6mm glass thickness? the tank size is going to be 80cm (length) by 33cm (wide) by 44cm (height)

Stang Man
Depends on the size of the sump, I would do 6mm and make double sure the silicoln is a marine grade silicoln not what you would buy at a hardware store or such. I don't like doing glass I prefer plexI or Acrylic I should have said I build them for the reason of longevity and no worries from the silicoln wearing out. But if you do it right then you should have no problem. Keep me updated and take pictures of the whole project as your build goes.

danielcassar
so...I managed to do my first DIY tank.....silicone was left to cure for more than 48 hours and after the tank was filled to the rI'm (100 litres used) and left for 24 hours to make sure there are no leaks!....passed from the test!!

now attached you find a picture with lines and dimensions, and I wish some opinions in regards to the dimensions and the postion of the baffles before I will silicone them!

Thanks Daniel

Stang Man
The intake is it more than you would need for the skimmer and intake? That area is more larger than the refuge which you should have more room for the refuge than the intake unless the skimmer is to large, the bottom of the first panel leading to the refuge should be at 1 inch and I know you are talking cm but not sure what that would be and also the bubble trap area should also be at that as well, The third bubble trap panel from the top should be below the first panel an inch below that. On the return sump area. I hope I'm not confussing you !!!

danielcassar
Stang Man said:
The intake is it more than you would need for the skimmer and intake? That area is more larger than the refuge which you should have more room for the refuge than the intake unless the skimmer is to large, the bottom of the first panel leading to the refuge should be at 1 inch and I know you are talking cm but not sure what that would be and also the bubble trap area should also be at that as well, The third bubble trap panel from the top should be below the first panel an inch below that. On the return sump area. I hope I'm not confussing you !!!
I can minimise the area where the skimmer is...I made it big so that if I upgrade I will use the same refugium .

the space of all baffles and from the bottom to the baffle are all 2.5cm which is around 0.98 inc...ok I understood u regards the last baffle to be inch below...just can't understand the reason of it...

also I received some comments regards to stagnant water in the refugium...also someone recommended me to put slots in the baffles which leads to the refugium...

Stang Man
Last baffle helps to flow thru the return area so that it creates a ripple on top for stagnant relaese, As for the refuge you should split that area with free flow and refuge flow to half so that not all the water goes over the refuge area, what I mean is divide that area so half goes thru the refuge and the rest by passes and for the refuge side use acrylic glass and use a router to do the slots in the top of the glass to create more circulation throughout the refuge. there are many ways to do this it does take some work to make everything balance out so that it works properly and no flaws.

danielcassar
Stang Man said:
Last baffle helps to flow thru the return area so that it creates a ripple on top for stagnant relaese, As for the refuge you should split that area with free flow and refuge flow to half so that not all the water goes over the refuge area, what I mean is divide that area so half goes thru the refuge and the rest by passes and for the refuge side use acrylic glass and use a router to do the slots in the top of the glass to create more circulation throughout the refuge. there are many ways to do this it does take some work to make everything balance out so that it works properly and no flaws.
I did some alterations....what do u think on this setup!
at least the flow comes from the middle of the refugium...so there will be no stagnant water in the refugium

Latest threads

Top Bottom