Refugium help????

do you have a regular HOB filter on your reef tank?

• Total voters
quentin8
OK so I have a 29 g that I am slowly turning for fowlr to reef everywhere I say says do not put a filter on a reef tank...but no one says why.....hoping somone can answer that for me......but I dread the expence of a sump...so I am now considering a HOB refugium will that filter my water in any way if I load it with copeods and what not and if so what do I need to put in it.......if that would not work..what would? thanks everyone

Hypnox
Filter cartridges tend to become nitrate factories. Nitrates are bad in a reef environment. Turning your HOB filter into a refugium would be a good alternative, put a small light on it and fill it with chaetomorphia. The chaeto is a great place to grow copepods and it also helps keep your nitrates and phosphates down.

au01st
Hypnox said:
Filter cartridges tend to become nitrate factories. Nitrates are bad in a reef environment. Turning your HOB filter into a refugium would be a good alternative, put a small light on it and fill it with chaetomorphia. The chaeto is a great place to grow copepods and it also helps keep your nitrates and phosphates down.
+1

Also, most reef tanks utilize protein skimmers to remove waste before it even breaks down and becomes nitrates. Once you see the black gunk that comes out of a skimmer, you won't run a saltwater tank without one. Using a HOB filter as a refugium may work, but on a tank that large, it may not be worth the hassle.

cerianthus
au01st said:
+1

Also, most reef tanks utilize protein skimmers to remove waste before it even breaks down and becomes nitrates. Once you see the black gunk that comes out of a skimmer, you won't run a saltwater tank without one. Using a HOB filter as a refugium may work, but on a tank that large, it may not be worth the hassle.
Well Said and agreed!
Do some research on DIY Refuge. You should be able to incorp your own desgn once understand the concept of Refuge and Hydrodynamics since already have sump, that is if sump is big enough. Look into lighting for refuge.

What you're hearing is that filters which had mechanical filtration media (trap and remove particles from water which can/will breakdown) should be avoided unless will to keep up with its maintenance/replacements.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom