Refreshed 10g

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by happygolucky, Apr 10, 2017.

1. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Just set this up yesterday after tearing it down a few weeks ago due to a cyanobacteria outbreak! I'm thinking about either shrimp + snails or a plakat betta, my full-finned bettas have always ended up with ratty tails :(

Any suggestions on more plants or rearrangements? Finnex Stingray light with flourish and maybe excel doses, I want to keep it low-tech.

Also, if anybody has ideas on how to prevent my filter (AQ50) from throwing sand around, which you can see has created some weird hills of sand, please let me know! I've put filter floss around my intake before, but it always becomes clogged and my filter starts to make grinding noises. Also, if I end up getting a fully-finned betta I'm going to need to curb the flow.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Sorry about the Cyanobacteria :/ it's always a shame. I also love the way your tank looks; super nice. My advice for the filter is either
    1) I believe you can take off the extension on the filter (my aq allows me to do this) if you water level is higher enough to continue sucking up water.
    2) try a sponge filter or sponge filter/pantyhose combo. around the intake. It should help filter out the sand before it reaches the motor. This would also reduce the flow for the potential Betta resident.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Love it! (I'll be honest, I also love how the sand flow looks)

4. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I agree! I think the sand looks great like that--very natural and it adds some extra visual interest. Your tank looks great!

5. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Just put some filter floss around my intake, slightly lessened the flow. Hopefully it takes awhile before I need to clean/replace the stuff :)

Anyone wanna convince me to pick inverts over a betta or vice versa? Thanks for the compliments

6. C

ChrisX Well Known Member Member

Fill the water higher, a bit above the bezel.

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Using filter floss to lessen the flow is a good idea.

For the stocking, you can choose a betta+snail (I recommend nerites). You can do shrimp with the betta and snail, but it depends on the bettas temperament. Some bettas will rip the shrimp apart, some won't

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice