Reef To Rift.....amazing Store

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently visited the aquarium store in Hatfield PA, and I have to say, it was incredible. I have never written a review before, but I loved this store a lot. One of the first things that peaked my interest was the neat layout of the store. It was very clean and fresh looking, with all of the shelves well organized. They had a large selection of different filters, substrates, lights, decorations (including aquascaping supplies) and everything in between. The dry goods were positioned in the front of the store, with the live fish and corals in the back half. They had an incredible display near the front with angels, rainbowfish, rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, and pencilfish. It was well maintained and actually got my mother interested in the fish and other aquarium inhabitants, which I felt was so cool that their display tanks were able to interest people who don't care about fish. One of the biggest things for me though was when I noticed the sale tanks. They were meticulously maintained, no algae, no poop visible, healthy fish. All of their fish had full stomachs and were very healthy. Even the otoclinus and freshwater gobies had full stomachs. Many of the plecos and other fish had vegetables in their tanks, and wood eating plecos had wood to eat as well. They vac many of the tanks everyday, and keep all of the tanks in tip top shape. There was not one dead fish in the entire store. Another thing that I wanted to point out is the massive selection they had. Hence the name reef to rift, they carry mainly african cichlids and saltwater fish. They had every type from shell dwellers to predator haps. Though I know very little about saltwater, I know they had many different species of fish and corals. I noticed they had a stunning mandarin dragonet. However, they have many other species of fish. Another area they specialize in is nano aquariums, and I noticed sparkling gouramis, ember tetras, too many dwarf shrimp to count, neon blue gobies, and many more. They carried a wide variety of community fish, as well as discus, fancy plecos, and large oddballs like flowerhorns and pike pike cichlids, all in pristine condition. But the one thing that stuck out to me was the customer service. I saw one of the employees hand grind food up for a customer's bamboo shrimp to eat. Another person, who may or may not of been the manager (He never said) had a full blown conversation with me about the availability of certain species, how small businesses have evolved with fishkeeping, and his adventures catching fish in the amazon for the aquarium trade, and so many other intriguing topics, then proceeded to get me some ember tetras (and threw in an extra for free) He told me about the upcoming events, and invited me to join their email list (where they update you weekly on the new fish they get in) and was just an overall friendly guy. I will be going back definitely, and recommend anyone near the store to visit there, they often hold events and on March 19, the cichlid club of york is coming.
(This is my first review, and probably my last, so there might be mistakes or things that should be added, so feel free to state if you see anything of the sort.)

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sounds like a great lfs want to go there myself! Except I’m in Minnesota

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is a very nice store. The staff will talk to you and answer all of your questions which is nice. There is another speciality aquarium store in Harleysville I think but they aren’t kept as nice - the fish are great though

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ioana Dog said:
It is a very nice store. The staff will talk to you and answer all of your questions which is nice. There is another speciality aquarium store in Harleysville I think but they aren’t kept as nice - the fish are great though
Isn't it Fins Feathers Paws and Claws?

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for this! I was so disappointed when I moved out of Montgomery County, and then a specialty fish store opened up. I'll definitely be making the hour's trek back down there now, though, to stock my new tank.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently went to fins feather claws and paws and their fish looked horrible. I ordered fish and it took them a month to come on. When I went to pick them up there were 2 dead in the tank and another dead fish of a different kind. Of the 4 remaining one was swimming crookedly and the other 3 were barely moving. There was a significant number of dead fish in the other tanks surrounding that one. The fish at petsmart look healthier.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ioana Dog said:
I recently went to fins feather claws and paws and their fish looked horrible. I ordered fish and it took them a month to come on. When I went to pick them up there were 2 dead in the tank and another dead fish of a different kind. Of the 4 remaining one was swimming crookedly and the other 3 were barely moving. There was a significant number of dead fish in the other tanks surrounding that one. The fish at petsmart look healthier.
The driftwood I got from fins feathers paws and claws was infested with hundreds of spiders and spider eggs, as I was filling up my tank literally hundereds upon hundreds of baby spiders came pouring out of the wood and throughout my tank and room. Was not a fun experience. I do have to say though, they have a decent selection of shrimp and plants though.
alauruin said:
Thanks for this! I was so disappointed when I moved out of Montgomery County, and then a specialty fish store opened up. I'll definitely be making the hour's trek back down there now, though, to stock my new tank.
Yes, I would definitely recommend going there! Such a cool place! They carry a lot of saltwater, african cichids, and nano fish, but have a lot of other fish there too.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
I recently visited the aquarium store in Hatfield PA, and I have to say, it was incredible. I have never written a review before, but I loved this store a lot. One of the first things that peaked my interest was the neat layout of the store. It was very clean and fresh looking, with all of the shelves well organized. They had a large selection of different filters, substrates, lights, decorations (including aquascaping supplies) and everything in between. The dry goods were positioned in the front of the store, with the live fish and corals in the back half. They had an incredible display near the front with angels, rainbowfish, rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, and pencilfish. It was well maintained and actually got my mother interested in the fish and other aquarium inhabitants, which I felt was so cool that their display tanks were able to interest people who don't care about fish. One of the biggest things for me though was when I noticed the sale tanks. They were meticulously maintained, no algae, no poop visible, healthy fish. All of their fish had full stomachs and were very healthy. Even the otoclinus and freshwater gobies had full stomachs. Many of the plecos and other fish had vegetables in their tanks, and wood eating plecos had wood to eat as well. They vac many of the tanks everyday, and keep all of the tanks in tip top shape. There was not one dead fish in the entire store. Another thing that I wanted to point out is the massive selection they had. Hence the name reef to rift, they carry mainly african cichlids and saltwater fish. They had every type from shell dwellers to predator haps. Though I know very little about saltwater, I know they had many different species of fish and corals. I noticed they had a stunning mandarin dragonet. However, they have many other species of fish. Another area they specialize in is nano aquariums, and I noticed sparkling gouramis, ember tetras, too many dwarf shrimp to count, neon blue gobies, and many more. They carried a wide variety of community fish, as well as discus, fancy plecos, and large oddballs like flowerhorns and pike pike cichlids, all in pristine condition. But the one thing that stuck out to me was the customer service. I saw one of the employees hand grind food up for a customer's bamboo shrimp to eat. Another person, who may or may not of been the manager (He never said) had a full blown conversation with me about the availability of certain species, how small businesses have evolved with fishkeeping, and his adventures catching fish in the amazon for the aquarium trade, and so many other intriguing topics, then proceeded to get me some ember tetras (and threw in an extra for free) He told me about the upcoming events, and invited me to join their email list (where they update you weekly on the new fish they get in) and was just an overall friendly guy. I will be going back definitely, and recommend anyone near the store to visit there, they often hold events and on March 19, the cichlid club of york is coming.
(This is my first review, and probably my last, so there might be mistakes or things that should be added, so feel free to state if you see anything of the sort.)
I want to go to this store so bad now. Lol. That won't happen though because I'm in TN.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
The driftwood I got from fins feathers paws and claws was infested with hundreds of spiders and spider eggs, as I was filling up my tank literally hundereds upon hundreds of baby spiders came pouring out of the wood and throughout my tank and room. Was not a fun experience. I do have to say though, they have a decent selection of shrimp and plants though.

Yes, I would definitely recommend going there! Such a cool place! They carry a lot of saltwater, african cichids, and nano fish, but have a lot of other fish there too.
Spiders?!?!?!? I would’ve had a heart attack!! They ordered more fish at my request but I’m not going back after I saw the first fish they ordered.

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After reading this post this morning, I decided there's no time like the present and headed down to Reef To Rift today. I agree, all of the tanks were filled with well-fed, rambunctiously healthy-looking fish. I didn't see any dead or sick-looking. A lot of the tanks were disappointingly empty, and the sales guy said they get shipments on Thursdays... so I guess that means they are doing solid business, selling a lot of their stock each week.

I didn't look at saltwater or African cichlids, as I don't keep them, but they had a lot of each. I only focused on the other tropicals. There were a lot of different plecos, I was surprised by the variety! Various tetras, rasboras, rainbows, cories. A few dwarf cichlids. Several tanks of angels, and some gorgeous discus. About a half-dozen varieties of freshwater shrimps, a few types of snails, and a variety of healthy-looking plants. I was most excited by some schooling fish you don't see very often, and I came home with a school of Emperor Blue tetras.

It was worth the trip!!

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
alauruin said:
After reading this post this morning, I decided there's no time like the present and headed down to Reef To Rift today. I agree, all of the tanks were filled with well-fed, rambunctiously healthy-looking fish. I didn't see any dead or sick-looking. A lot of the tanks were disappointingly empty, and the sales guy said they get shipments on Thursdays... so I guess that means they are doing solid business, selling a lot of their stock each week.

I didn't look at saltwater or African cichlids, as I don't keep them, but they had a lot of each. I only focused on the other tropicals. There were a lot of different plecos, I was surprised by the variety! Various tetras, rasboras, rainbows, cories. A few dwarf cichlids. Several tanks of angels, and some gorgeous discus. About a half-dozen varieties of freshwater shrimps, a few types of snails, and a variety of healthy-looking plants. I was most excited by some schooling fish you don't see very often, and I came home with a school of Emperor Blue tetras.

It was worth the trip!!
Shame you didn't get to see it when fully filled haha, congrats on the emperor blue tetras by the way! I think I might go back on Saturday to pick up some more ember tetras and possibly some inverts.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
alauruin said:

It was worth the trip!!
Well I've never seen those in person, but Google pictures look nice. Lol.

Brooklyn Vasquez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I actually live 50 mins away from here (such a bummer .) I actually wanted to visit Reef to Rift. As @JLeeM was saying the Google pictures looked really nice! I really wanted to visit this store but after reading this review now I REALLY want to go to the store! @FlipFlopFishFlake I just wanted to ask if there was any way you could sell fish to that store.

Btw: Sorry that I commented 9 months after this thread has been written...

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brooklyn Vasquez said:
Hi! I actually live 50 mins away from here (such a bummer .) I actually wanted to visit Reef to Rift. As @JLeeM was saying the Google pictures looked really nice! I really wanted to visit this store but after reading this review now I REALLY want to go to the store! @FlipFlopFishFlake I just wanted to ask if there was any way you could sell fish to that store.

Btw: Sorry that I commented 9 months after this thread has been written...
No problem! Reef to Rift has pretty strict quarantine rules, and generally don't take in fish from people who want to give them away. However, if you want to sell them fish, I would go there and talk to the manager. The staff there are very knowledgeable and understanding, and if you talk with them you might be able to work out a deal.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FlipFlopFishFlake said:
No problem! Reef to Rift has pretty strict quarantine rules, and generally don't take in fish from people who want to give them away. However, if you want to sell them fish, I would go there and talk to the manager. The staff there are very knowledgeable and understanding, and if you talk with them you might be able to work out a deal.
You can call and ask if they will buy fish from you if you breed and raised them yourself. They might give you store credit for fish that are healthy after they at least survived a short quarantine time. I know them because I’m there a lot and always chat with them so I was able to sell them peppered corys I bred and raised. They also gave me advice on how to raise them so they knew how I was caring for them. Not sure if they would buy fish from just anyone.

Their fish and plants are always healthy and they’re good at answering questions.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom