Reef tank ideas ?

GreetedMussel44

I’m thinking of buying a small 2nd hand reef aquarium from the brand called Superfish. It has a complete set. But I don’t know how expensive it is to maintain the aquarium... if I do get the aquarium, I’m thinking of getting 1-2 small beginner corals and 1-2 small fish (likely the clown fish).

But the question is, how much would it cost for me to keep up the maintenance of a small reef/marine aquarium that’s about 6 gallons ?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
saltwater60 is pretty knowledgeable about marine systems, maybe he can help

MacZ

Fishlore Legend
I own a superfish tank, what model are you looking at?

MacZ

Fishlore Legend
Ok, I don't know the specific model but I can tell you some things about the quality and things that are generally going on with their tanks.

- The silicone work is better than it looks. I had some of it on the glass and while the seals are all really nicely done on the inside there are spots where the silicone either doesn't fill the whole gap or is squished out a quite far. Looks done a bit hastily. Not extremely bad, but not very good either.
- The filters are almost always oversized, in that it likely produces quite a current for such a small tank.
- The lights are often better than expected.
- The quality of the plastic parts is a bit underwhelming, the bar with the lights on top of my tank is already bowing.

Overall ok quality for the price. I'd buy them new, but rather not used. Any info on how long it was dry or why they give it up? Also I would expect the skimmer to be too small to work effectively.

OP
G

GreetedMussel44

Ok, I don't know the specific model but I can tell you some things about the quality and things that are generally going on with their tanks.

- The silicone work is better than it looks. I had some of it on the glass and while the seals are all really nicely done on the inside there are spots where the silicone either doesn't fill the whole gap or is squished out a quite far. Looks done a bit hastily. Not extremely bad, but not very good either.
- The filters are almost always oversized, in that it likely produces quite a current for such a small tank.
- The lights are often better than expected.
- The quality of the plastic parts is a bit underwhelming, the bar with the lights on top of my tank is already bowing.

Overall ok quality for the price. I'd buy them new, but rather not used. Any info on how long it was dry or why they give it up? Also I would expect the skimmer to be too small to work effectively.

Yeah I totally agree about the silicone and oversized filters.

I think it was less than a year old... the price is €60. And the original price is €100.

Doesn’t say why he’s selling it though.

MacZ

Fishlore Legend
Save up the difference and get a new one.

saltwater60

Well Known
Maintaining a small tank like that won’t cost you much monthly.
getring the set up and the equipment going is what costs the money. Make sure to do RODI water if your thinking of doing a reef tank.
mid do a set of clowns or some small gobies for fish.
what corals do you like?
do you have Aquarium experience?
do you need to know the other equipment needed?

Jesterrace

Well Known
A 6 gallon tank realistically is too small for a clownfish long term, let alone 2 fish. It will also be a serious challenge to maintain since there is zero room for error and water parameters change rapidly in a tank with such a small volume (keep in mind that water evaporates but salt doesn't so you need to be meticulous about keeping your tank topped off with fresh RODI water between water changes or your salinity will rise to deadly levels). For a first time saltwater keeper, the smallest size I generally recommend is a 20 gallon long if you want fish. It would be easier to keep the 6 gallon if you were just doing easier corals and inverts (ie small shrimp or hermit crabs). To give you an idea of how active a clownfish can be, here is a snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish that I had, it was between an inch and a half and 2 inches at the time of this vid. See how active it is in my 36 gallon bowfront tank:

saltwater60

Well Known
Oh dang I missed that it was 6 gallons. I certainly wouldn’t do a 6 gallon reef tank.
Jest is right. You could do one small clown goby and a few corals and that’s it. The return on investment and enjoyment just won’t be there. Sorry I missed that.

OP
G

GreetedMussel44

getring the set up and the equipment going is what costs the money. Make sure to do RODI water if your thinking of doing a reef tank.
what corals do you like?

Hey there.
Yeah so I was thinking about a small tank... 6 gallons or 10 gallons Max. Do you know how much the equipment will all cost ?

I’m thinking of a pair of clown fish and a sea anemone so that they could use. And if that does work well, I might get another coral or two.

Yes I do have XP, I have a 30 Gallon juvenile Cichlid tank and a 6 gallon nano tank. (Both freshwater) been having them for about 3 months and it’s going very well.

And yes please, I would love to know the equipment I need for a small marine tank and the prices if possible.

Thanks a lot

what corals do you like?

And what is RODI water ?

Oh dang I missed that it was 6 gallons. I certainly wouldn’t do a 6 gallon reef tank.
Jest is right. You could do one small clown goby and a few corals and that’s it. The return on investment and enjoyment just won’t be there. Sorry I missed that.

Ah ok... is a 15 gallon long ok ?

saltwater60

Well Known
Most recommend a 20l as the minimum as do I.
If you want corals or an anemone you’ll need a good light at $100-$100.
You’ll need live rock 10-20lbs at anywhere from $4-$10/lbs
Live sand $20
Pump/powerhead $20-$30
Test kits for water quality $25-$30 Saltwater and Freshwater are different test kits.
Minerals alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and there respective test kits. Phosphate test kit about $100 depending on what you get
Salt $25-$100 depends on quantity ordered
Refractometer $25
Heater $30
Fish, corals, inverts, anemone $150-$5,000 depending on what’s selected. The sky is really the limit. You can buy one coral for $1,000. But $200-$300 is more realistic.
RODI is reverse osmosis and dionization and a system for that is about $150. You’ll also need a tds meter for testing the RODI water for about $25.00.
I think that covers most things.
You’d easily be $500 or more.

OP
G

GreetedMussel44

Most recommend a 20l as the minimum as do I.
If you want corals or an anemone you’ll need a good light at $100-$100.
You’ll need live rock 10-20lbs at anywhere from $4-$10/lbs
Live sand $20
Pump/powerhead $20-$30
Test kits for water quality $25-$30 Saltwater and Freshwater are different test kits.
Minerals alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and there respective test kits. Phosphate test kit about $100 depending on what you get
Salt $25-$100 depends on quantity ordered
Refractometer $25
Heater $30
Fish, corals, inverts, anemone $150-$5,000 depending on what’s selected. The sky is really the limit. You can buy one coral for $1,000. But $200-$300 is more realistic.
RODI is reverse osmosis and dionization and a system for that is about $150. You’ll also need a tds meter for testing the RODI water for about $25.00.
I think that covers most things.
You’d easily be $500 or more.

Woah... that’s insane.

I thought about $300-400 would be enough but that’s a lot of money...

Minerals alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and there respective test kits and Phosphate test kits really important ? Because I’ve seen some people without them.

And would a normal marine aquarium cost less in equipment than having an aquarium with coral ? Or would the price only be cheaper because there are just no corals in the tank ?

Thanks

saltwater60

Well Known
Price with fish only would be a lot cheaper.
You don’t need the minerals and the test kits and you won’t need the special light.

just my personal apinion but small fish only Saltwater tanks are kind of blaring because you’ll only be able to get like 2-3 small fish. Of course that’s something you have to decide. Also you can have some inverts but the bioload is much less in Saltwater tanks.

OP
G

GreetedMussel44

Price with fish only would be a lot cheaper.
You don’t need the minerals and the test kits and you won’t need the special light.

just my personal apinion but small fish only Saltwater tanks are kind of blaring because you’ll only be able to get like 2-3 small fish. Of course that’s something you have to decide. Also you can have some inverts but the bioload is much less in Saltwater tanks.

Ah ok. Yeah I wasn’t thinking of many fish... probably 2 clownfish and another small exotic fish. With 1-2 cleaning shrimp.

But yeah... I think a fish only tank is much better for me cause I’m only 15 and I have to save up a lot of money and I can’t spend any of it on food at school or stuff. So a fish only would be the most suitable... if that goes well for a year, I might introduce some coral and go to the next level.

Thanks a lot for the information !!

saltwater60

Well Known
If you do clowns just make sure you get a smaller species like ocellaris. Some clowns like maroon and golds or tomato clowns get rather large.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Alexolotl

Did You Know...

Lots of saltwater, coral and freshwater fish care profiles with pictures and care information via links below.
Freshwater Fish Profiles
Saltwater Fish Profiles
Coral Profiles

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom