10 Gallon Tank reef or coral? the dif

john thomas
ok, one week since set up, so I have a minI 10 gal tank with live rock, a few invertbts, no fish yet.
i'm confused about a reef & a coral tank. I would like to add corals, is the live rock ok?

and a quick question about sg> I have an "instant Ocean Hydrometer"
when it says rinse, do I rinse with tap water or tank water.
thank you!

Austin {Aquarist}
Well a reef is an ecosystem consisting of different marine nekton (free moving animals) and corals are found in the ecosystem.

Can someone explain this better? My writing is a bit sluggish, I'm tired

sgould
Welcome!

When you put a coral into your tank, it is called a reef tank. As opposed to a fish only or a fish only with live rock. Live rock is not only ok, it is highly recommended. In between uses, rinse your hydrometer with fresh water.

Angela_96
The reef is the coral tank, the fish only with live roc (folwr) has no coral.

The hydrometers are very inaccurate, I actually have one and I will take my water to the lfs for a follow up salinity, its always off.

I am going to buy a refractometer, they are very much more accurate.

Matt
I personally wouldnt put any fish in a 10 gallon tank.

As everyone has previously mentioned there are 3 main types of saltwater tanks. FO = Fish only, FOWLR = Fish only with live rock, Reef = Fish,coral and live rock.

I wish you the best of luck with your reef tank.

-Matt

au01st
Matt said:
I personally wouldnt put any fish in a 10 gallon tank.
-Matt
You won't put ANY fish in a 10 gallon, but you'll put a tang + several others in a 34 gallon? What!?

There are plenty of gobies, blennies, or firefish that will be fine in a 10 gallon.

There are also plenty of corals that will be fine in a FOWLR tank, like mushrooms or zoas, xenia, etc. I guess you wouldn't consider it a Fish Only tank then, but it would by no means be a Reef tank.

Latest threads

Top Bottom