Reef Octopus NW-150 newly installed Question 

rainbowpebble

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi. I just installed my Reef Octopus NW 150 in-sump skimmer. It overflowed on me twice and I just got the water level down to where it doesn't reach the collection cup.

Is that too low? It's not overflowing anymore and it seems like it's pretty stable now.

What happens when I do a water change?

Will it overflow again?

Should I run the skimmer all the time? I have a 125 g display tank and a 25-30 g sump.

Thank you so much in advance. This is my first time using a protein skimmer. I really hope the one I got is pretty good.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't know much about skimmers but let me bump this and maybe one of our saltwater members will have an answer for you.
to FishLore!
Carol

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never used a Reef Octopus, but they are great skimmers from what I understand.

Any new skimmer will take a little while to break in... I'd say just give it a few weeks and be ready to make any necessary adjustments. Good luck!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Reef Octopus are great skimmers!

After you've let them break in, thewater level shouldn't be high. There should be foam later on. The foam should be at the same level as the tip of the cone in the cup, but it should not flow to fast inside the cup rapidly.

During water changes, shut off the skimmer. Do not start it back on until your sumps water is starting to cycle. Not a cycle cycle, but a cycle like water drops in and water pumps out. Than start it because sometimes the skimmer will skI'm the new saltmix and overflow rapidly.

I would not turn of the skimmer at anytime unless you are making water changes or taking it off. I don't shut the skimmer off when cleaning the cup as well.

ATP

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads