Reef filtration

JosephM
I’m going to take a new approach to this. What would be the best filtration for a 29gal reef tank. 2in of live sand plus about 40-60 lbs of live rock. I want some nice fish and corals once it’s ready. I was under the assumption that a sump would be best but a few people have said it’s not worth it in a small tank. I will have RO auto top off no matter what filter style I do. I have a spare marinland 150 & 250. Would either or both of those work together (chemi pure media) or are their other filters you guys recommend?

Rcslade124
If possible I would add a sump. Keeps everything out of display tank and you have room for skimmer and a refugium. I couldn't imagine running a saltwater tank without a sump. But totally doable

JosephM
Rcslade124 said:
If possible I would add a sump. Keeps everything out of display tank and you have room for skimmer and a refugium. I couldn't imagine running a saltwater tank without a sump. But totally doable
I have a spare 10 gallon. Is that sufficient or should I run a 20 gal long. What stages should I have. I was thinking filter socks, skimmer, refuge, bubble trap, return (should I include other media or compartments?) what should my return rate be?

I have also been told skip the skimmer for a larger fuge just due to it only being a 29gal tank. Thoughts?

Rcslade124
Sorry didn't see notification.
No you don't need a skimmer for a smaller tank. But if you plan to keep corals you won't be upset that you got one. Plenty of people run no skimmer. The dark brown/black stuff I pull out of skimmer definitely makes me wonder what the tank would look like without.

For the sump a 10g would work. Simple filter socks-refugium-return and be done. If you decide on skimmer I would do the 20L so you have a little extra room for the skimmer section.

JosephM
Rcslade124 said:
Sorry didn't see notification.
No you don't need a skimmer for a smaller tank. But if you plan to keep corals you won't be upset that you got one. Plenty of people run no skimmer. The dark brown/black stuff I pull out of skimmer definitely makes me wonder what the tank would look like without.

For the sump a 10g would work. Simple filter socks-refugium-return and be done. If you decide on skimmer I would do the 20L so you have a little extra room for the skimmer section.
Sounds good. I picked up a 20 long at petco so I’ll have a skimmer compartment but run a refuge in there for now. I was thinking about getting an overflow box like the marine depot elite overflow box or just buying a simple acrylic overflow box on eBay and drilling and installing my own bulk heads but many people said to drill the tank. Do you have a link you could send to point me in the direction of how to ‘drill the tank’ instead of using an overflow box?

Rcslade124
You will need an overflow box even if drilling the tank yourself. It doesn't have to be an internal overflow.
This is the overflow I got. But this is how you would drill and setup the overflow.

Latest threads

Top Bottom