Reducing Phosphate And Nitrate

Rofish

Reaction score
I have a 180 litre Juwel tank. I had an algae problem last February. I made a lot of changes, bought several live plants, increased the frequency of water changes, introduced shrimps and snails, rinsed/changed media sponges more regularly. The aquarium now looks good and the levels of phosphate and nitrate are greatly reduced but I have still had 5 fish deaths over the last 6 weeks. Our tap water has highish levels of nitrate (5ppm) and phosphate 1-2 (ppm). Do I need to use a phosphate remover on a regular basis? – I used Rowaphos for a few months but it was difficult to read the colours on the API and Salifert test kits. Will the expensive Hanna kit be better? And what can I use to reduce the nitrate?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5ppm of nitrate isn't high at all. I have 20 out of tap, which is completely safe and good for the plants. I've never measured phosphate and can't really speak on that.
How do you know the fish died because of nitrates (which I doubt unless they're spectacularly sensitive fish) and phosphates? Could they have been ill?

Rofish

Reaction score
No, I suspect the fish died of natural causes rather than nitrate or phosphate. The nitrate level in my tank is 10 ppm and the phosphate level is between 1 and 2. I keep on reading that the levels should be much lower and was wondering what more I could do to reduce those levels.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, I suspect the fish died of natural causes rather than nitrate or phosphate. The nitrate level in my tank is 10 ppm and the phosphate level is between 1 and 2. I keep on reading that the levels should be much lower and was wondering what more I could do to reduce those levels.
I'm not sure where you're reading this... Even 10ppm is fine for nitrates. You do mean nitrates and not nitrites, right? Because nitrates are fine under 40ppm, but you want 0 nitrites.
What fish do you have?

Rofish

Reaction score
In February 2019, my nitrate level was 80 and my phosphate was 5. There was algae everywhere: substrate, plants and ornaments and I was losing a lot of fish. I made lots of changes as detailed in my first post, the algae has virtually gone, the tank looks good and the nitrate and phosphate levels are reduced as detailed above. I have small community fish: raspboras, tetras, platys, corys, snail and shrimp.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi, by phosphate do you mean PH levels? I would advise not to use a remover of any kind as they can cause big shifts in water stability and be harmful to your fish. With Nitrate, regular water changes with the use of Prime will help lower those readings. The API master test kit is the most accurate, I would continue the use of it for water readings.

Top Bottom