Reducing filter flow on Aqua One Focus 25 fish tank

Ewok2009

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here.

I have an Aqua One Focus 25 tank, I love the modern design and apperance! The issue is that the filter flow is far (far) too strong for my Betta fish. I have placed a pre-filter over the outtake which calms things down considerably, I have lifted the filter out while running with the sponge, there's still a constant flow of water that now comes from under the sponge.

I would just like some more experienced members to confirm this is safe long-term, whether my filter will function normally with the nitrogen cycle etc.

Here is a video of the sponge on the outtake and the reduction its made, the video looked misleading like it blocks the output completely but it not.

Zachsnanotanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Adding certain types of media to a filter is known to reduce the flow rate of any filter maybe try to put more filter pads or floss in the media chamber to slow it down. But in my personal opinion that amount of flow looks like it would be comfortable for a Betta.

Ewok2009

Reaction score
Zachsnanotanks said:
Adding certain types of media to a filter is known to reduce the flow rate of any filter maybe try to put more filter pads or floss in the media chamber to slow it down. But in my personal opinion that amount of flow looks like it would be comfortable for a Betta.

I tried placing the sponge on the filter intake as you can access it inside, this made no difference to the flow but I"m open to trying other things as I'd like just a little more maybe another 10-15%.

Do you think its safe doing this, no long-term harm to the motor or way the filter system will function?

Zachsnanotanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ewok2009 said:
I tried placing the sponge on the filter intake as you can access it inside, this made no difference to the flow but I"m open to trying other things as I'd like just a little more maybe another 10-15%.

Do you think its safe doing this, no long-term harm to the motor or way the filter system will function?
Well any reduction of flow will reduce your turn over times but your flow can be safly reduced as long as it can keep up with the NH3 your fine to reduce it. And no it won't damage the filter at all it will simply slow it down.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom