Reduce reflection in tank?

• Thread starter Keenamoss
  • Start date

Keenamoss

Whenever I try putting a background on this tank, either plain shiny or plain matte or decorative shiny, this betta literally does not stop trying to fight himself. Have even tried putting the only spare lamp I had next to the darkest corner, which helps a bit, but if anything goes on that back he can't stop. I don't want him him to stress himself to death. Any tips to stop this reflection, aside from moving the tank? I really want to use a 20200925_123740.jpgbackground :( lol.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
The only thing I can think of that should not reflect back is anything that's got a black matt look to, something like A4card from a stationers

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
How long did you wait each time before removing the background again? I guess the fish will lose interest after a few days. In which case it will have at least a bit of extra enrichment for a while.

richiep said:
The only thing I can think of that should not reflect back is anything that's got a black matt look to, something like A4card from a stationers
Problem is not the material of any externally attached backgrounds, but the fact any background seems to make the glass reflect better.

BigBeardDaHuZi

Nice tank OP, very nice

Keenamoss

MacZ said:
How long did you wait each time before removing the background again? I guess the fish will lose interest after a few days. In which case it will have at least a bit of extra enrichment for a while.

Problem is not the material of any externally attached backgrounds, but the fact any background seems to make the glass reflect better.
Have tried matte cardboard too, it does seem like anything that stops light from getting through the back gives him too good a view of himself. I left him for a few hours, every time I looked he was doing it. In the end I couldn't stand it lol.

Thanks! It looks better with a background lol.

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Nice tank OP, very nice

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Keenamoss said:
Have tried matte cardboard too, it does seem like anything that stops light from getting through the back gives him too good a view of himself. I left him for a few hours, every time I looked he was doing it. In the end I couldn't stand it lol.
Try again, leave it for some days. If the behaviour still doesn't change, remove it again.

Do you clean all sides of the tank? Maybe letting Algae and Aufwuchs grow on the backside may help.

Keenamoss

I'm worried he'll aggro himself to death lol. It's a pretty new tank and barely any algae so far, but would leave the back for the snails anyway :) I guess another option would be a moss wall hey.

Mazeus

Well Known
Sounds like a fiesty betta! Another option could be to get quite a few stem plants (something shaggy) and plant a wall of plants against the back (or only in the area where the light reflects the most). You could remove them once a bit of algae builts up.

MomeWrath

Well Known
If you put anything dark behind the glass he's going to see himself, no matter what the texture of the background is because he's not looking at the background he's seeing himself in the glass. Think about a window in a lit room at night. What's outside doesn't matter because the window is reflecting you because it's darker outside than inside. You could try a white background, or the aforementioned plant screen. I had a betta in the past that spent hours flaring at his reflection in front of the filter box. I have two in my room right now and we have to leave a lamp on all the time in the evenings or we come up to bed and the fish are just swimming back and forth all bowed up lol.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Tbh it looks nice anyway and mentioned i wouldn't worry leave it as it is

Keenamoss

He is feisty lol Muhammed Ali the crowntail lol. The plan is to get some corydoras to keep him company but, am of two minds about it now lol. Though there are two stowaway shrimp in there who have not only survived him, but don't hide from him anymore, and he doesn't bother the snails either so, maybe the corys have a chance? As long as they're not long finned ones maybe lol.

Mazeus said:
Sounds like a fiesty betta! Another option could be to get quite a few stem plants (something shaggy) and plant a wall of plants against the back (or only in the area where the light reflects the most). You could remove them once a bit of algae builts up.

Frank the Fish guy

Well Known
You need a patterned background to break up the image of the 'other fish'.

I have a background like this one:

There are no reflections of fish visible. The pattern breaks it all up.

Keenamoss

That's a nice one. I did try a patterned one as well unfortunately; and two different designs one lighter and one darker... I think it's just where the tank sits, it doesn't really get any direct light from outside so it's always brighter in the tank. I have just left it off lol there is one corner he still goes to to fight the "other fish" that I haven't found a lighting solution for yet (need a tall skinny lamp to squeeze into the right spot to illuminate that area from the outside) but he only does it briefly and then moves on, rather than doing it continuously. The plants are filling out now and I can live without the background anyways.

BigBeardDaHuZi

Keenamoss said:
That's a nice one. I did try a patterned one as well unfortunately; and two different designs one lighter and one darker... I think it's just where the tank sits, it doesn't really get any direct light from outside so it's always brighter in the tank. I have just left it off lol there is one corner he still goes to to fight the "other fish" that I haven't found a lighting solution for yet (need a tall skinny lamp to squeeze into the right spot to illuminate that area from the outside) but he only does it briefly and then moves on, rather than doing it continuously. The plants are filling out now and I can live without the background anyways.
He might be having fun too. Maybe he likes to fight?

Keenamoss

Yeah that's right, and he seems to be able to leave it alone when he wants to lol rather than just constantly freaking out over it. I don't think it's doing him harm at this stage anyway lol

Top Bottom