reduce filter flow 5 Gallon Tank 

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey all,

In my 5 gallon hex tank, I'm having an issue with the current. The filter is conviently enough NOT adjustable, i've tried various water levels and they either don't give me the current I want/need for filteration or they are too high.

So my solution with a hitch; I have a bio sponge (those blue things that you add to tank, I think they are supposed to go in the actual filter but idk) on the front of the out pouring part of the filter. This seems to be working well, here's the hitch; I'm using a steel paper clip. Steel has a habit of rusting and contaminating water.

Here is my question to everyone;

Any ideas for something that will hold up the sponge similar to the paper clip but in say a plastic or something that will not contaminate my water? thanks guys.

When my camera batteries are charged I'll post some pictures so that everyone can see the final outcome, as well as the before, and the intermediate progress pictures.

Thanks,

Inari

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rubberband,zip strip,fishingline.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Good idea to remove the steel paper clip I'm adding a couple of links below that may help you too.

On my filters, I like to use a sponge that is a bit bigger than the out flow area. They are forced to fit snugly and I don't have to use anything to tie it down with.

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use a strip of 100% polyester quilting batting to sit on the outflow area. I lay it on that area and then just kind of cram it in the filter to make it stay.

-Lisa

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you all for the wonderful ideas I have also some of my own that may work as well. I'm going to try clear thread first since no one in my household fishes, if that clear thread doesn't work then i'm banking on the fishing line. Thank you, and like I said as soon as my camera batteries are charged I'll post some pictures.

~Inari

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok so I had a hair brained idea. Instead of going out to Meijer and buying fishing line that I wouldn't ever use again, I used clear thread to tie it down. Here is the picture and thanks for the ideas of out to fix this!!!

Inari

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Looks like a good fix to me I'm glad it's working for you!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads