Reduce Algae - Options

AsleepInYorkshire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My daughters fish tank is 275 litres. It's heavily planted and has Co2 when the lights are on. She started with one Fluval LED Plant 3. I worked out it was 20% short of the light needed. We added a second. The tank does look better for this. But slowly over a month the algae has started to increase. It's not a nuisance currently but I'm aware it needs to be brought under a little more control.

The external filter is fully cycled and contains no ammonia, no nitrites and virtually no nitrates (1ppm). Phosphates are 0.2ppm. However, our tap water is 0.1ppm.

There are options to deal with this (I think).

1. Reverse Osmosis. I can plumb this in so all she has to do is turn a couple of valves. The downside is it will also remove everything else in the water and a 15% water change will take about an hour for refill through the RO unit. We have nowhere to store RO water so it would have to be a direct to tank flow.

2. UV light - I've not done any research on this.

3. Additional internal filter with phosphate removing medium.

If I have understood the biology of this small ecosystem it's the phosphates that are causing the algae. There are three Otocinclus in te tank and they do a good job, but since the second light was added they haven't quite kept up with their work :)

I'd welcome any thoughts on the above please.

Can I just add my daughter is 12 years old and to help her with the water changes I have "plumbed" the tank in to the mains water. No buckets needed. A 15% water change takes about 20 minutes and we use dechlorinator and stress enzymes for the fish.

Thank you in advance

AiYn'U

ExcitedBetta

Reaction score
You could consider getting a nerite snail. That would be an easy way to get rid of algae. You'd need to get algae wafers and/or veggies once it eats all the algae in your tank.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Simple solution: Cut back the light.

OP
A

AsleepInYorkshire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well we've been busy today working on my daughters fish tank. We've been tinkering with plant positions and generally cutting some down a little.

Yes of course turn the light down. Doh :) We've [hopefully] managed to work out that we need to turn down the red and blue frequencies on the lights to reduce the algae growth.

I'm still toying with the thought of UV though as I could put it onto an automatic timer so it only comes on for a percentage of the day.

Here's a photograph of the quarantine tank which I've been tinkering with during C19 lockdown
20200327_234503.jpg

New Threads