Redtail Shark With A White Tail

myfisharerappers

Reaction score
I just brought home a redtail shark, it was the only one of its kind left in the tank with other sharks. His tail is completely white, besides the tips be slightly red. I'm assuming it was just too stressed at the store but just want to double check with someone on here. He's doing great in my tank eating and swimming around.

OP
M

myfisharerappers

Reaction score
Here is a picture but you can't really see the that the tips are red. There really wasn't any red on him in the store, so since I've brought him home he's been getting a bit more color that's what is leading me to believe he was just stressed.

Attachments

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn’t have a red tail because it’s not a Red Tailed Shark. It’s one of those white tailed Sharks that appear in some batches of Rainbow Sharks (E. frenatum). AFAIK it’s not yet known whether it’s a farm bred mutation or an undescribed species, or even a hybrid (complicated further because we don’t know what E. muruense looks like when alive).

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn’t have a red tail because it’s not a Red Tailed Shark. It’s one of those white tailed Sharks that appear in some batches of Rainbow Sharks (E. frenatum). AFAIK it’s not yet known whether it’s a farm bred mutation or an undescribed species, or even a hybrid (complicated further because we don’t know what E. muruense looks like when alive).
I missed the pic. So that's what's going on? I have only seen this mentioned once before and nobody had any idea. But you are correct they don't get that color from stress.

OP
M

myfisharerappers

Reaction score
Even though he clearly isn't a rainbow shark and has some red on his tail which has been getting more red (very slowly)?

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even though he clearly isn't a rainbow shark and has some red on his tail which has been getting more red (very slowly)?
I would say it probably is a Rainbow Shark.
RTBS always have a bright red tail fin. It can fade a little with stress but it’s still very red. They also don’t have the dark and light patches on the peduncle (even when the body fades to grey), typical of Rainbow Sharks.

Last edited:
OP
M

myfisharerappers

Reaction score
I would say it probably is a Rainbow Shark.
RTBS always have a bright red tail fin. It can fade a little with stress but it’s still very red. They also don’t have the dark and light patches on the peduncle (even when the body fades to grey), typical of Rainbow Sharks.
I thought rainbow sharks have red fins? His are all black except for his tail.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Weekly

Votes: 85 68.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 21 16.9%

Top Bottom