Redtail Shark And Glofish Shark

LSquareds

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i had a question here currently we have a five gallon tank with a redtail shark and some ghost shrimp getting a ten gallon tank soon i found some glofish and found a glofish shark that is purple although im sure it comes in other colors but it appears to be the same as my redtail just the body color is different i was wondering if they would fight each other? I don’t want to get the fish if they dont get along

Ed1957

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A red rail shark gets way to large to be in a 10 or 20 gallon tank. I believe they are a schooling fish. Your tank cannot support 1.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1. Red tailed sharks are typically aggressive. Especially with other sharks or bottom dwellers. Due to this it's usually recommended to only have one per tank. If there's more, you need a big enough tank and lots of sight breakers and hiding spots.

2. Yes, the purple one is the same. That being said, they would probably fight to the death in a 5 or 10 gallon tank because.....

3. Neither a 5 or 10 gallon tank is suited to house a shark for it's whole life. If you still try though, I'd say put your red tail in the 10 as the sole inhabitant.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that the red tail shark will fight with the glo fish shark, if it is. Red tails are typically territorial fish, so a 5g tank it will likely try to dominate the tank.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i had a question here currently we have a five gallon tank with a redtail shark and some ghost shrimp getting a ten gallon tank soon i found some glofish and found a glofish shark that is purple although im sure it comes in other colors but it appears to be the same as my redtail just the body color is different i was wondering if they would fight each other? I don’t want to get the fish if they dont get along
no. Red tail sharks and related fish are territorial and should only be in numbers of 1. Anything more than a single shark will not end well especially as they age. A 10g is far too small even for that single one you have. 55g is a good place to start for that fish.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A Glofish shark is an albino red tailed shark. So basically you are asking if you can keep two red tailed sharks together.
Even in a 55 it could be a problem! So a 10 gallon would be a recipe for disaster once they are adults.

As stated, you should not even be keeping a single one if 10 gallons is what you plan to have. Are you able to go bigger?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom