Redsea Prizm wont skim Help

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmer' started by Sturty, Dec 29, 2012.

1. S

Sturty Valued Member Member

Ok so after some dramas with a dodgy skimmer i managed to get a 2nd hand Red sea Prizm delux, i thought it would be better than nothing but in regretting it.

I cannot for the life of me get the bubbles to the point where it want to bubble into the cup. The best i can get is about an inch too low.
    On top of that the thing is noisy and has filled my tank with micro bubbles.
    Hopefully i can fix that when i get the sump tank on friday.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. OP
    OP
    S

Ok so after almost 12 hours its finnally skimming :)
    It almost overflowed at the 7 hour mark but it died down.
    Ive removed a fair amount of noise by fitting an airstone to the air inlet tube
    To remove the rest of the noise i'll enclose the bottom part of my stand once the sump is installed (next weekend)

Ps should the bubbles at the top be clear or coloured with waste? Mine is clear/white

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

If it is skimming waste, the bubbles will have a brownish tinge to them. My skimmer has white bubbles for the most part, except the very top, where all the waste has risen to, and is about to be well, skimmed off :)

4. OP
    OP
    S

Well when it was working correctly i was getting yellow/brown water in the collection cup, but its overflowed twice now so im still in the process of adjusting it

silly question but should i be seeing a drop in nitrates (its at 80 at the moment) and does the skimmer physically remove nitrates?

I might redesign my sump so i can fit a 8" deep sand bed. Hopefully that will reduce nitrates (once the bacteria grows)

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like a lot of wet skimming going on ;)

Yes, you'll probably start to see a drop in nitrates, or at least they won't get worse. Skimmers don't physically remove nitrate, they remove the Dissolved Organic Compounds/Carbons (DOCs) that lead to nitrates.
    With high nitrates like you have, I wouldn't be surprised to see that thing skimming heaps for a while.

DSBs require time to establish, quite a while actually. The nitrate eating bacteria that live in the DSB rely on an oxygen free environment (anaerobic, or more correctly anoxic)

If you have macro algaes, they'll help reduce nitrates and phosphates, or you could also look at carbon dosing (do your research on this first though)

With nitrates at 80, I'd be going for a 50 or 75% water change.

OH! - and be sure to replace the lost water with salt water!
    Evaporation top-off you replace with RO/DI.
    Skim-mate water takes salt with it to, so you need to allow for that by replacing it with salt water.

6. OP
    OP
    S

I really want to do a water change but i only have 2kg of salt left and doing a water change means my water level will drop below the skimmer intake which means starting the silly adjustment process all over again.

My plan- preheat and treat some water with my remaining salt and aleave the skimmer going untill saturday when i'll setup the sump.
    On saturday fit the sump and move the skimmer to the sump. I'll also purchase more salt and some sand and start on a DSB. Finnished with a 50% waterchange (should workout as 75% with the added water to the sump)

Sorry ryan but i dont know much about macro algae. Is there an area somewhere on fishlore that i can read up on it?

Im also considering a seachem nitrate reactor if i cant sort the nitrates out by feburary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice