Redsea Max 250?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Reeferxbetta, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Reeferxbetta

ReeferxbettaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I just purchased a Redsea Max 250, and am going to be setting it up very soon, I am transferring from a 40 breeder with only a HOB filter, and HOB skimmer, so this is quite a bit different than what I'm used to. I just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on this tank, advice with maintenance, etc.

2. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,577
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Congratulations!!! That's very exciting. I have no experience with these tanks, or sumps for that matter, but I'm very excited to see a RedSea build here. They are beautiful tanks and I've heard good things about them.

I know that if I had a larger sumped tank, I would want to maximize the refugium, both for nutrient export and for a healthy pod population, which would help to host some of my favorite fish. Perhaps if you share your current setup and goals with the new tank, we can all be more helpful and learn through your experience. Please consider making this your build thread and keeping us all updated.

3. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks! I will maybe make a build thread, seems like it could be helpful to get some other ideas for the tank. I am looking to see if anyone else has the tank, as I would like to get some advice on the built in filter/sump the tank has. They are something I'm totally not familiar with.

4. stella1979

Ratings:
    +9,577
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    A build thread will certainly be helpful for ideas regarding equipment and such. I don't know of anyone here with a RedSea in particular, but I'm very excited to learn about it. Does it come with pumps and everything? I'm not sure exactly how reef ready their setups are. I see that it has an integrated ATO, and the plumbing sounds like it'll be simple to set up. I'd really like to see a picture of the sump to see what options you have, but in reading about the tank, it sounds like it's a very user friendly assembly.

I think you may be feeling a little overwhelmed with the sump, and while this may be a fancier one, it's still just a nice sump. Just think of it as a very large filter. The water will flow through the surface skimmer overflow, instead of being sucked up by your HOB. Very much like other filters though, it will still go through mechanical, biological and/or chemical filtration of your choice. So from the tank it'll go through the micron socks for mechanical filtration, then into a chamber that can house a skimmer and reactors. Bonus, now you can keep your heater(s) in the sump and get them out of the tank. If you'd like to, you can probably integrate a refugium in the sump too. You'll just need a place in there to grow the macroalgae, a plant light and the macroalgae itself.

Not to sound pushy... but how long until you get it? I am so excited to see that sump. I know it's exciting for you, and while you might feel nervous now, you'll feel a lot more confident when you see how things work in person. It's just a different filter after all.

5. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Got it today. Tank is awesome… lightly used, looks brand new, but boy was it something to set up, I'm now 5 hours into it, and I'm just finishing up the temporary setup for the clowns, inverts, and coral. I can already tell that once it clears, it will be absolutely stunning when I can get more rock and coral. I will attach a picture of the sump once it is more clear (probably tomorrow morning) but right now I can't see a thing. It includes everything though, pumps, media, etc. although I opted to use my own media from my old filter, plug and play is what they refer to at as… mine was more hassle with for 5 hours, plug, and then play haha, but now that I've gotten to know the tank, the sump maintenance should be very simple in the future.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  6. stella1979

Ratings:
    +9,577
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yay! Happy, happy new tank day!!! I'm sure I would have spent twice as long as you did setting up the beast.

7. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Tank is much more clear this morning, now to adjust the specific gravity… somehow it's way out of whack. I will get some sump pictures when I manage to get myself up… I'm still exhausted from setting up last night.

8. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Unfortunately, I have to set the aquarium project aside for today, but I would like to attach those sump pictures for you, but I don't know how to do that yet haha, any idea how to do that?

9. Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Nice tank! Red Sea makes really nice tanks.
    I don't have a Red Sea AIO tank, but I have the IM AIO. Fairly straight forward as far tank set-up and maintenance goes.
    It's a plug and play system. Use filter floss instead of sponges, if it does come with them. After your tank is done cycling. utilize filter floss and change out the floss 1-2 times a week.

Occasionally you'll have to get a small tubing to extract the detritus in the back of the AIO compartment. Maybe like every 3-6 months depending how dirty the back gets.
    I think the Red Sea Max 250 comes with a protein skimmer. I think you'll have to clean that out a few times a week as well once your tank gets going.

10. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Loving the look so far…setup was something else though. It's looking like I'm gonna need a chiller (in December :confused but the tank is getting up over 80 degrees with the lights on, and it'll probably get near 90 in the summer considering my old tank with LEDS would get up to 86 at times if I didn't set my AC to like 72, and I can't keep doing that, so chiller it is. Fingers crossed for a quality one that isn't ridiculously priced. Feel free to share some pics of your tank, I'd love to see, I'll share some of mine once it's less foggy.

11. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Please excuse the disaster that my room is, but with fish tanks that were all being moved around, it looks like a science experiment gone wrong. Still cloudy, and the rocks are not arranged yet, but it's looking alright. Will get those sump pics next.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  12. Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    sweet. that sucks with the chiller. but yeah, probably from the closed kit and lights.

13. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yeah, tank is great to look at… but so far it's been a little insane, something is messed up with the lights.

14. stella1979

Ratings:
    +9,577
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ruh-roh.... sorry to hear about the heat and the light. The tank is absolutely beautiful though! I love it!!! I have a much simpler setup, but I remember the early days with the concerns and issues. It's craziness at first, particularly with extra issues, but you'll get there and I can't imagine that this tank won't bring you years of happiness.

15. OP
    OP
    Reeferxbetta

Ratings:
    +525
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    It's definitely beautiful.

Become a Fishlore Member