Reds for a low tech

clark12

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
is there any red plants for a low tech? i have seachem flourite black substrate, i use thriveC as directed @ 15 pumps in a 75g and i dose 5 more pumps 3 days later. i also use thrive caps for roots. my lights are 36'' finnex stingray and 36'' beamsworks. if there is any other info needed let me know

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Red plants in tanks without c02 often times will start out red and turn green.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years

You might not be able to get a true red plant but there are some with red stems that you could get away with more easily.

-This one seems to have a brownish tint to its leaves.

Here is another reddish plant.

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ludwigia rubin, ludwigia mini super red, ludwigia repens, alternanthera reineckii, Rotala h'ra, and tiger lotus are all easy red options. They should turn atleast a light red color with the setup you have going.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vishaquatics said:
ludwigia repens,
This one's likely to go green without medium lighting. I picked some of this up for this reason and mine did (which is fine, I still love it). I'm running an Aquasky and finnex 24/7 rgb in a 24" deep tank (w/ 3.5" of substrate), and dose with coops all in one. I get the red underneath the leaves, but the tops are all green.

ETA: I only run the finnex 3.5 hours a day during the most intense period of the fluval's cycle.

John58ford

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Crypt tropica wendtii can keep a decent red tone with the right lighting. I also have some form of water Lilly that is very red leafed.

There may be others but I have grown these near as low tech as I think anyone is still doing. My plants run on moderate led lighting and fish poo. I don't even use caps or root tabs so I would think you should be able to get those colors too. The Lilly, though I can't remember the exact type (grown from a bulb) is the largest, reddest, and fastest growing of the two options.

Celestialpearl

Reaction score
I find AR is the easiest red plant. It's pretty bomb proof too. I recommend starting with that. If you have a petsmart near you they are sold in the plant section as a tissue culture, though under the name Telanthera cardinalis.

Strong lighting is definitely a must to get them to turn blood red. Hopefully your lights are strong enough to reach them. If you find you have a difficult time getting plants to turn red and still want red plants, you may have to invest in a stronger light like a fluval 3.0, ecotech radion, or current satellite pro. I know that will be difficult on a tank your size as lights are expensive, but intense light really does go a long way when going low tech.

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Red melon sword gets huge but will maintain its coloration in even mid-low lighting. Crypt spiralis 'red' will get and stay red in low to mid lighting as well but won't have a consistent all around red. Some leaves will pop up green and others will be red

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vishaquatics said:
Ludwigia rubin, ludwigia mini super red, ludwigia repens, alternanthera reineckii, Rotala h'ra, and tiger lotus are all easy red options. They should turn atleast a light red color with the setup you have going.
Without co2 most of these plants will not stay red. Ludwigia will turn mostly green. Tiger lotus as the leaves get bigger and multiply (which happens quickly) they turn green.

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike1995 said:
Without co2 most of these plants will not stay red. Ludwigia will turn mostly green. Tiger lotus as the leaves get bigger and multiply (which happens quickly) they turn green.
That may be true, but OP will atleast get a light red coloration as the stems reach the top because of their lighting. The fluval stingray is decently strong. I have a fluval cliplight on a lowtech nano tank and it turns my ludwigia rubin a decent bronze/red color and the rotala h'ra a bright pink.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've found red crypt wenditi; sword flames and melon swords all stay redish. So far my rotala H'ra and reineckii are staying red but the reineckii (i have two types but not sure which) is incredibly slow growing. Another plant that stays mostly reddish is dwarf lilly (Nymphaea stellata) but this plant is not small.

New Threads