Redone 5ft planted community

Alasse
Redone 5ft planted community ~ pic added 28th July 08

Well, let me say, moving the 5ft was a nightmare! The poor fish were bagged for 1 1/2 days, non heated, while the tank was pulled down, moved and reset up.

The substrate all mixed in, so it is no longer black, but I don't mind the look actually. The driftwood has also been rearranged differently, again I don't mind that either. The new look has made the fish use the entire tank more, which is great for viewing them.

The bristlenoses, Nosette and Spike, now live in the 5ft. They are doing an excellent job of keeping any new algae under control.

The tank is seriously low in plants, the algae bloom prior to the move made me cull a few of the plants out when I replanted. I'll slowly start to replace what was discarded in the weeks to come.

13th May 08

During the time between the 13th May and the 21st June, the tank was left to its own devices, with just the occassional feed, I had to go to my parents place interstate (my Mum was battling lymphomia and passed away during this time)

The tank got a much needed water change and plant fix when I got home. Was safer for no one to touch it for the time I was away. No fish losses I can see.

Some newer pics, it is a bit cloudy, but then i've been replanting and stirring it up. The wisteria and java fern are multiplying like mad things *L*

21st June 08

I decided to add a topping of plain gravel, the cories and loaches kept uprooting the plants as the Richgro makes the substrate easy to disturb. Seems to have worked like a charm

27th June 08

Alasse
For those that would like the stats

Dimensions: 5'x18"x18"

Substrate: Black gravel mixed with Richgro, topped with a reddish brown plain gravel

Lighting: 1 double 4ft T8 Dalbarb reflector (1x 40W & 1x 36W tube) + 2x 2ft T5 (25W tubes I think).

Ferts: None as yet.

Filtration: Aqua One 103F Internal (on it absolute lowest setting).

Plants: Java Fern, Java Moss, Crypts, Chain Swords, Wisteria, Elodea, Val, Anubias & Large swords.

Driftwood: 4 pieces, 1x large (124cm) & 3 smaller, 1 of the smaller pieces store bought, the rest found

Occupents: Gold gourami, Platys, Bristlenose Cats, Cory Cats, Yoyo Loaches, Neons & some Shrimp

Wishlist
The 4ft T8's will be replaced by T5's.
The Aqua One filter will be replaced by a Fluval 404 cannister (working on this one first off)
Definitely more plants to be added
Seachem Excel addtion
More livestock: Some 'rarer' platys, 2 clown loaches, More neons, and the cories may be removed to another tank.

peacemaker92
Wow! It must've been hardwork! Hope it looks beautiful again Alasse!

peacemaker92
Hope you complete your wishlist too! Good luck!

Lucy
Your tank looks really good! What a fun fish home.

I'm really sorry for the loss of your mom. I'm sure redoing the tank was therapeutic for you.

pepetj
Alasse: Sorry for your mom. My condolences to you (from the Caribbean).

Thanks for posting all the details of your tank, I enjoy that sort of info, and for sharing your tank pics with us. Is it a custom made tank? never saw a 5footer before (just 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 or 6') and the height is unusual too (I do carry a measurement tape around, due to the MTS thing I got here).

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Alasse
Thank you all for your condolences

No not custom made, just bought of the floor of my lfs, I actually have one of the dimensions wrong I notice...sorry 'bout that. Mind you they carried a 12ft tank, and let me say, boy is that one VERY large tank *LOL*

It is 5ft length x 18" height x 20" width

COBettaCouple
Our best to you and your family.

Barbrella
What a beautiful tank. Lucky fish to live there!

My condolences on your loss.

lalynya
Tank looks really great I love the au natural look

shellbell4ever
That is one beautiful tank..I bet the fish love it Sorry for the loss of your Mom

tzqng8
Ditto what other's have said.

Rockin' tank and bummer about your Mom. Hugs and postive vibes your way.

Darlene
Sorry to hear about your mom. I love your tank...beautiful.

Alasse
Thank you all for you condolences and kind words

I took some more pics today, I can't help myself *L*

My favourite part of the tank to photgraph, the fish come to here when I go near the tank, tis the feed corner *L*

COBettaCouple

MagpieTear
Wonderful Tank!

Alasse
Update:

The tank is having a change in occupents, the platys, gold gourami & neons (if I can catch em*L*) are being traded. I am getting 2 new large angels in their place, to make 4 angels total. 2 more will be added as soon as I find some I like.

There will be 4 angels, 5 pakistanI loaches, 2 clown loaches, 2 bristlenose, 3 cory cats, and some shrimp

Alasse
I took a new pic last night. It is for a competition being held at my LFS

Slug
Very very nice tank. I like the amount of structure in the tank, and its not just full of plants.

COBettaCouple
drool Such a beautiful tank!

peacemaker92
It's a beautiful tank, Alasse. You should win the contest! Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
Scoutsfish
Replies
Views
Bexiboo
Replies
Views