Redoing tanks... finally

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m so excited.
I just burnt $70 on fish tank supplies and stuff... but still super excited. :happy:

What I had before:
• a 10 gallon with a mixture of live and artificial plants housing a single female betta.
• a 10 gallon blackwater betta aquarium housing a single male betta
• 10 gallon artificial planted (there’s one live plant) tank that I keep all my guppy fry in until they find homes
• another of the guppy fry tanks
• Another guppy 10 gallon- one I put together about a year ago that is just an aquascaping disaster.

Now what I have:
• Same 10 gallon, with same mixture of live and artificial plants, but will become a betta fry grow-out tank. I will be adding more live plants and removing the artificial ones slowly.

• The same 10 gallon blackwater, but I will be converting it to a betta breeding tank soon.

• Added another filter to the guppy tank, because it’s overcrowded and even with my constant water changes you can’t be too careful.

• This 10 gallon stayed the same, only one left untouched :p

• Ooooh this is the tank I’m redoing the most. I completely emptied it, scrubbed the sides, etc. I just ordered a heavy duty divider from lifewithpets, and am going to plant it very simply with some java ferns and add some driftwood. It will house my hmpk breeding pair.

I also have a 5 gallon setup coming in the mail (but not until mid-April due to corona delays) for the female that had been chilling in the first ten gallon tank.

I will upload pictures of the tanks once they’re done, but it could be week or so.

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
AquaCaitlin said:
I’m so excited.
I just burnt $70 on fish tank supplies and stuff... but still super excited. :happy:

What I had before:
• a 10 gallon with a mixture of live and artificial plants housing a single female betta.
• a 10 gallon blackwater betta aquarium housing a single male betta
• 10 gallon artificial planted (there’s one live plant) tank that I keep all my guppy fry in until they find homes
• another of the guppy fry tanks
• Another guppy 10 gallon- one I put together about a year ago that is just an aquascaping disaster.

Now what I have:
• Same 10 gallon, with same mixture of live and artificial plants, but will become a betta fry grow-out tank. I will be adding more live plants and removing the artificial ones slowly.

• The same 10 gallon blackwater, but I will be converting it to a betta breeding tank soon.

• Added another filter to the guppy tank, because it’s overcrowded and even with my constant water changes you can’t be too careful.

• This 10 gallon stayed the same, only one left untouched :p

• Ooooh this is the tank I’m redoing the most. I completely emptied it, scrubbed the sides, etc. I just ordered a heavy duty divider from lifewithpets, and am going to plant it very simply with some java ferns and add some driftwood. It will house my hmpk breeding pair.

I also have a 5 gallon setup coming in the mail (but not until mid-April due to corona delays) for the female that had been chilling in the first ten gallon tank.

I will upload pictures of the tanks once they’re done, but it could be week or so.
honestly if I were u I wouldnt breed bettas in a ten. I did and they were super aggressive to I bumped them up to a 29 gallon once I got the chance and aggression has bedn so low!!! I haven't had to jar them and they r 6 months old tmrw!!!

OP
AquaCaitlin

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
idkausernamesoyeah said:
honestly if I were u I wouldnt breed bettas in a ten. I did and they were super aggressive to I bumped them up to a 29 gallon once I got the chance and aggression has bedn so low!!! I haven't had to jar them and they r 6 months old tmrw!!!
I’ve bred bettas a few times before and a 10 gallon is what’s manageable for me.

My dream is to one day be able to get bigger tanks for all of my fish, but I simply don’t have room.

I like to stick with smaller aquariums for my betta breeding so I can watch the proceedings and monitor for any out of line aggression, it’s just my preferred technique, although I do like trying other ways out I don’t have the space for a larger tank at this time, sadly.

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
AquaCaitlin said:
I’ve bred bettas a few times before and a 10 gallon is what’s manageable for me.

My dream is to one day be able to get bigger tanks for all of my fish, but I simply don’t have room.

I like to stick with smaller aquariums for my betta breeding so I can watch the proceedings and monitor for any out of line aggression, it’s just my preferred technique, although I do like trying other ways out I don’t have the space for a larger tank at this time, sadly.
gotcha that's totally fair!! well I have had success and I hope u have too everyone has methods they swear by haha

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They sound like some nice upgrades, post up some pics when you can! Good luck with the breeding also!

OP
AquaCaitlin

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Completed one of the tank’s transformations, all that’s left is for the divider to come in the mail and the plants to grow larger.
B10A5D45-03FA-484D-A26D-F1B0F37C90CE.jpeg
Since I’m not working due to the virus I did this all on a budget, so all plants were taken off of other plants. I’m pretty satisfied with how it turned out, considering how hideous it was before lol. Wish I had a before picture.

OP
AquaCaitlin

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CE4C8119-59E4-47A2-9704-A76421CA1DDA.jpeg

fully finished, the dividers came today.
small sponge filter and heater on each side, as the divider doesn’t have holes.
on the left is my newest betta, and on the right is my oldest, I think she’s around 2 1/2 years now.

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
AquaCaitlin said:
CE4C8119-59E4-47A2-9704-A76421CA1DDA.jpeg

fully finished, the dividers came today.
small sponge filter and heater on each side, as the divider doesn’t have holes.
on the left is my newest betta, and on the right is my oldest, I think she’s around 2 1/2 years now.
what size tank?

New Threads