Redoing Tanks At A Fish Store, Experienced Members Wanted

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Today I'm starting my personal goal of redoing all of our fish tanks at the store. Due to neglect by the previous manager, I decided the best course of action would be to just redo them. The sponge filters in all the tanks cannot be replaced, as we can not simply afford to cycle all of the tanks from scratch. These sponges have been in there for close to a decade. I'm trying to think of the best plan, as it's quite hard. I want to rid any kind of disease that may be living in the tanks, so my first idea was to remove the gravel from each tank, put them into bleach water, followed by a thorough rise and soak in dechlorinator water (a cup of dechlor in a 5 gallon bucket of water). The same goes for any fake plants/decorations. What are your thoughts on acriflavine for getting rid of parasites that may still be inside tanks? We have a lot of it. Please feel free to throw some suggestions my way, it would be much appreciated.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My concern if there is disease in the tanks, you could clean/sterilize everything but the sponges would retain the bad stuff as well as the beneficial bacteria.

I would go with a staggered approach. Consolidate into 75% of your tanks, sterilize the 25% and re-cycle those 25%.

And so on.

It would take 6-8 months to do them all.

And if you get diseased fish from a supplier, you would be back to square 1.

Recommend you just lightly stock tanks and keep the nitrates down.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
None of the tanks have any ammonia or nitrite. Shockingly, none of the tanks have over 20 nitrates. I’ve checked multiple times with the liquid test. Yeah, this is going to be a chore. I do see what you mean, that’s a good idea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom