Redoing Tank

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello, I have had a 20g tank for quite a long time and I want to redo just about everything in the tank.. It’s boring and I want my little guy to have a cool tank.
I plan on redoing the gravel (the main thing I want to do) and get all new plants and perhaps even live ones. however, I read that I shouldn’t be doing this all at once as it could remove some of my bb. I’d appreciate comments on how to properly do all of these things.
NOTE: I only am housing 1 betta fish. I do not plan on adding anything else to the tank but a snail.. ( way down the road )
There for, I do not have a secondary tank to keep him in during this process. Will he be okay?

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’d jar up the betta while redoing everything, he’ll be unhappy but fine. I think changing the substrate all at once will be fine as long as you’re not messing with the filter. Since the stocking is so light (one betta), you should be ok with the B.B. is also maybe siphon out and save all the water to add back when you’re done messing around with everything.

The live planets will be great too! Good luck!

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your betta must feel like a king! A 20 gallon with all that space to himself?!? I wouldn’t worry about messing with B.B. in the gravel bc there probably isn’t much anyways because there’s only one betta. But you should still try to get your BB in your filter alive by keeping it warm and wet. If you do decided to the live plants, I recommend you get a nutrient rich substrate such as eco complete or ada aquasoil. U can keep your betta in a heated bucket while you work

Bettabuddies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently also redid my betta fish's aquarium. When I did it, I made him a makeshift tank using a container and his favourite plant. He obviously wasn't happy that's kinda unavoidable but it's better than a little cup or small mason jar. Also, I highly recommend getting some live plants, they not only spice up your aquarium but can be very beneficial to your betta fish and water condition.

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome! Thanks for the help!
FreshestFreshwater said:
Your betta must feel like a king! A 20 gallon with all that space to himself?!? I wouldn’t worry about messing with B.B. in the gravel bc there probably isn’t much anyways because there’s only one betta. But you should still try to get your BB in your filter alive by keeping it warm and wet. If you do decided to the live plants, I recommend you get a nutrient rich substrate such as eco complete or ada aquasoil. U can keep your betta in a heated bucket while you work
Sounds good thank you so much for all the help!
Bettabuddies said:
I recently also redid my betta fish's aquarium. When I did it, I made him a makeshift tank using a container and his favourite plant. He obviously wasn't happy that's kinda unavoidable but it's better than a little cup or small mason jar. Also, I highly recommend getting some live plants, they not only spice up your aquarium but can be very beneficial to your betta fish and water condition.
And lol! I used to have him in a bowl til I became more educated. Thought I’d make it up to him hahahahah!
Bettabuddies said:

Amber Fuschetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Handelma said:
Definitely recommend the live plants my betta fish love to rest on the plants. If you want to do gravel or sand substrate you can get plants that take nutrients from the water like anacharis, anubias, or java fern. I've even had success with amazon sword in gravel.
Yes I’m planning on sticking with gravel so that helps a lot actually! I got him a betta hammock and he refusing to use it so hopefully he likes that! I plan on getting him some hides and stuff to now that I feel comfortable with tanking care of the tank and everything. Now he can be a happy spoiled fishy hahaha. Thanks so much!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom