Redoing My 20g

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi guys,
I wanted to start this thread as a track my progress/get suggestions type thing. My 20g has had issues so I'm kind of starting over with 1-3 fish (I had 3 until 1 had like 30 babies) with plants and other stuff. I'm 100% getting some type of algae eater and I want to keep 1 black molly (preferably the mom but I'm also tired of having to take care of all the babies so idk) and possibly my blue DG. I also want to get some easy beginner plants (moss balls, anachris, someone suggested water sprite in another thread). As of right now, the new babies are in their own tank, the 6 4-month-old babies are in the 20g with the mom and DG.
Suggestions/opinions are welcome about anything I say, just don't be rude. There's a good chance I'm doing certain things the way I am for a reason/personal preference, but I do still want to hear what the more experienced people have to offer. I don't have tons of experience with fish and am very open to being taught the right way.
Heres a before picture (before the algae attack that ruined everything, including most of the decorations- since the picture was taken I also lost 2 of the fish)
IMG_4480.JPG

I look forward to sharing this with you guys!
BettaKat

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice tank!

What kind of algae eater did you want? What kind of algae was in the tank?

I would avoid keeping more than one dwarf gourami in a tank this size - males will fight, often resulting in one's death, and females are really hard to find.

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nice tank!

What kind of algae eater did you want? What kind of algae was in the tank?

I would avoid keeping more than one dwarf gourami in a tank this size - males will fight, often resulting in one's death, and females are really hard to find.
I'm not sure, I think Pleco's look really cool but they get way too big for my tank so that's out :/ I've been trying to get myself to like Otos for a while now but they unfortunately haven't grown on me yet. The algae was black and slimy, but not hairy like what showed up when I'd google "black algae in aquarium".
For the DG's- I was the victim of a PetSmart "fish expert" when I got them, but since then I separated them and the orange one ended up dying from some kind of illness.

Apparently my gecko wants to try fish :hungry: lol. She saw them (temp. tank is next to hers) and ended up ->:banghead: on the glass... which didnt stop her from trying again :facepalm:. I had to put something between them so nobody can see anything now.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otos need to be in a school and each oto should have 10 gallons each. You could try like a smaller cory or something

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cories aren't algae eaters.

Do you see your type of algae here?

What you're describing sounds like cyanobacteria - did it smell bad when you removed it?

Rather than getting a fish to solve your algae problem, I'd figure out what's causing it and get to the root of the issues, so you can prevent it in the first place. If you must get something to eat the algae, go for nerite snails - they won't reproduce in freshwater and they are algae eating machines!

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@TexasDomer
Using the link- the stuff on the glass definitely looked like green dust algae, but I don't see anything that looks similar to the stuff on the gravel/decor, but...
I just googled cyanobacteria and the stuff on the gravel/decor looked just like the pictures. It did smell bad (but being a newbie to dealing with algae I assumed that was normal).

So far in an effort to fix and prevent it, I'm switching to sand (someone said it'd be easier to keep clean and I had been on the fence about doing it for aesthetic reasons, which also helped me decide if I really wanted to), I'll be feeding the fish once every 3 days instead of every day, getting some plants to use up extra nutrients, and reducing how long the light is on. A previous thread helped me figure all that out based on it being algae, but maybe now that we know what it is some of that might change(?).

I've had a mystery snail in that tank since the beginning of that issue and he didn't seem to eat any of it. Would that have been different if he was a Nerite? I don't know a ton about specific types of snails.
I just started looking into Clown Pleco's and I think one would be small enough!! Do you happen to know anything about them? I'm all for preventing the algae in the first place but they look SO cool I think I'd like to have one with or without natural algae (I can always buy algae wafers or something else they eat... haven't gotten that far in my Googling).

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't starve your fish because you don't want to deal with their waste. I'd still feed them daily - you can do more water changes if you have to.

Mystery snails are not great algae eaters and should be fed their own diet. Mine love veggies and shrimp pellets. Nerites are better at eating algae, though I'm not sure if they eat green spot algae, and they don't eat cyano as far as I'm aware.

Clown plecos are also not algae eaters, and they need driftwood in the tank. I wouldn't keep one in a 20 gal high though - too small.

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don't starve your fish because you don't want to deal with their waste. I'd still feed them daily - you can do more water changes if you have to.

Mystery snails are not great algae eaters and should be fed their own diet. Mine love veggies and shrimp pellets. Nerites are better at eating algae, though I'm not sure if they eat green spot algae, and they don't eat cyano as far as I'm aware.

Clown plecos are also not algae eaters, and they need driftwood in the tank. I wouldn't keep one in a 20 gal high though - too small.
Oh I didn't know that would starve them. Someone told me I was feeding them way too often. And oh :/ I guess I have to stick to snails then

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would aim to feed your fish daily and then fast once a week or so. If you go out of town, they can last a few weeks without food, but for maintenance, feeding 2-3 per week isn't enough for most fish.

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would aim to feed your fish daily and then fast once a week or so. If you go out of town, they can last a few weeks without food, but for maintenance, feeding 2-3 per week isn't enough for most fish.
Ohh okay I see.

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Almost completed tank... I just need to get a nerite snail and some plants besides moss balls but I won't have time the next few days. And then I have to decide whats happening with the fish situation.
My mystery snail managed to roll the moss ball from next to the others, all the way to the volcano (which is why it's so sandy)- new favorite toy? lol
IMG_0084.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom