Redoing Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by SpasmaticAA, Jan 16, 2019.

1. SpasmaticAAValued MemberMember

Hello, I currently have a 15 gallon tank that I hate the look of. I've had it for about 2 years now and it looks awful (lack of plants, snails every where, too much duck weed). I want to replace the original blue, green, and purple gravel with some black fine gravel or sand. I'm not sure how to go about doing this however. Currently I have a stock of 3-4 clown killies, 3 neon tetras, 2 electric blue rams, a mut neocaridina shrimp (probably going to go to my moms beta tank with two amanos and 3 bamboos, heavily planted tank), an amano, and finally a bamboo shrimp.

Any ideas on how to go about doing the rescape would be greatly appreciated.

2. AJEFishlore VIPMember

I would make a hill in one corner of the tank to the and have it come down from one corner to the other corner. Is that what you mean as far as suggestions?

3. SpasmaticAAValued MemberMember

I mean more like what should I do with the fish during the "restoration process". However I wouldn't mind aqua scaping tips as well.

4. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ohhh, when I rescaped my 15g, I just put all the fish and stuff in a plastic bin(with the heater and filter of course)

5. SpasmaticAAValued MemberMember

I figured as much but wanted another persons input. Do you think I should separate the rams from the others though since they might not take the more cramped space to well?

6. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Maybe. I moved mine into a 20 gallon bin, so my bettas had more room instead of less. If you do separate them put one in an ice cream container or something and just have it floating in the tank till you are done scaping

7. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I think a bucket would work rather well, especially if it has something to cover the top to stop fish from jumping out. Back in the day when we use to do biyearly 100% waterchanges, we would catch all the fish and put them in a bucket with a heater - we cleaned the filter, but would suggest running the filter on a bucket or having the media with the fish in the bucket, with an airstone to have good water movement for the bacteria - and put a glass lid on top. Gravel vac, rescape and refill and then add the fish back....

8. SpasmaticAAValued MemberMember

Sounds simple enough. I'll pick up an extra sponge filter since I'm using an HOB filter and don't have any extra large square containers to house the fish in but this should be a good start.

9. Logan.t.FosterWell Known MemberMember

I would like to buy your duckweed. Would you sell/ship it to me?

10. SpasmaticAAValued MemberMember

Sure just give me some shipping info or something and I'll see what i can do. PM me or email me preferably

11. SpasmaticAAValued MemberMember

Oh as a side note, I want to get some cave like structures for the rams. I don't really want to go with small pots so anyone got ideas on what I could do?

12. Maya BooneValued MemberMember

If you get some larger rocks or driftwood you could build a little cave. Personally I prefer the more natural look you get from something like that (as opposed to clay pots and such) but it’s up to you