Redoing a raggedy tank.......... 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Drew 43920, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Drew 43920

Drew 43920Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    2 years
    I am redoing a raggedy tank, one step at a time. I will probably slowly replace every thing except the tank itself and the "good" bacterial.
    Tomorrow I am going to clean the Penguin 170 Bio-
    wheel filter. I believe the "pads"have been in there for about 6 months. I got a box of new pads but I have read enough to know I can rinse and reuse pads. But in this case I think I should replace the pads. The filter appears to have two bio-wheels.
    Can someone please tell what to clean and what kind of cleaning solution to use ?

Thank you
    Drew

2. Sophism

SophismValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Is there a particular reason to clean them? I believe swapping out the filter media can and most likely will throw your tank into a mini cycle.

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    are there fish in it?

4. OP
    OP
    Drew 43920

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    2 years
    There are 4 fish...............

There are 3 Tetras and a black cat. There are no plants.

Drew

5. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    then I wouldnt bother replacing the filter media ....rinse it out as you said in the tank water that you have removed in a bucket...you can put new filter media in with the old then after 2 weeks or so remove the old ...the new will be seeded by then ;) ...

6. OP
    OP
    Drew 43920

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    2 years
    Do you mean never clean ?

The filter has two bio-wheels and there is plenty of gravel. I thought in this case I could change the foam inserts. There has to be some cleaning, Right ?

Drew

7. pinkfloydpuffer

pinkfloydpufferFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +43
    Experience:
    2 years
    If you do need to clean, the only things I'd use are bleach or vinegar... and make sure it's all rinsed away well before coming back to the tank.

But to clean the filter media, just rinse it in dechlorinated water.

8. Dozey

DozeyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    Just started
    Regarding the bio-wheel filter, don’t do anything to the bio-wheel itself. Most of the bio-wheel filter allow for two filter cartridges. The wheel is designed to grow bacteria and needs to be kept in a cycled tank. If it is allowed to dry out the bacteria will die.

As for the filter cartridges they can be rinsed in tank water only. Do not use tap water. And when I say use tank water I don’t mean clean them in the tank itself. When doing a water change use the water you intend to discard. Also, if you intend to clean these cartridges you will have to remove the charcoal from the cartridges to keep reusing them. And as with the wheel don’t let them dry out. Keep them in tank water.

To clean water stains on glass and plastic surfaces use straight vinegar and rinse everything with a lot of water. Do not clean any part of the bio-wheel or cartridges with vinegar.

As I too have a bio-wheel filter I alternate changing one of the two cartridges once per month. It has been my experience that the bio-wheel and unchanged filter retain enough bacteria to maintain the bio system and I have never experience a mini-cycle.

9. OP
    OP
    Drew 43920

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    2 years
    That is what I will do.........

That makes sense. That's what I will do .
    Thanks.
    Drew