Redoing 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I'm redoing my 46 gallon tank for what I hope the last time. I'm planning on doing mostly south american cichlid set-up and heres what i was thinking.
1 Turquoise Severum
5 Madagascar Rainbows
1 Laetacara Dorsigera
1 Blue Acara
2 Keyhole Cichlids
2 SAE
Th Rainbows, severum and SAE are already in there. Overstocked???

OP
G

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yep. First had a cichid setup then community than went through rainbows with rams and gobys and then rainbows. So this is my 6th time IN 3 months.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say that is massively overstocked. 46gal is enough just for the Acara by itself. Your current stocking list is overstocked but will be ok if you keep an eye on water quality & perform the extra water changes needed. 46gal probably doesn't offen enough swim space for the Madagascar Rainbows though.

I suggest you stick with what you have but swap the Madagascars for a smaller Rainbow. Something about 3" long.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I seriously doubt it. The Sev, Keyholes & Laetacara will want to claim thier own territories & 46gal doesn't provide enough floor space to provide those territories. The Severum gets to 8" & will want half the tank for it's territory alone. On top of that the tank would still be overstocked waste wise from all those fish. I think you would need to do 30% daily water changes to cope with the amount of waste that would be being produced. Even with your current stocking list your probably going to have to do 2 water changes a week when they get bigger.

OP
G

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I now this is an old thread but I have a quick question. Could this work??
1 Severum ( As of now 1 inch)
5 Rainbows ( Smaller kind)
2 SAE
2-3 Gymnogeophagus meridionalis

P.S. I will be upgrading the tank in a year or two.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that would work I think. Those Gymnos only get to about 4" I think & are reasonably peacefull for american cichlids. You could probably get away with that lot for 1-2yrs depending on what size they all are when you get them & thier growth rates. Then I'd look into a 75+gal for your upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 60 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.6%

Top Bottom