Redoing 3 tanks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lazlo, Aug 7, 2015.

1. LazloNew MemberMember

I currently have a 55 and a 29, along with a 38 hospital and just starting a 46 now. The 38 is in bad shape it's just a garage tank. Current fish in the 29 are 5 glowlights 5 ember tetras 3 neons and 3 otos. 55 has about 20 guppies, a bn, 2 panda 2 albino and 1 spotted Cory, and 1 lone black skirt. Currently in qt are 3 5" roseline barbs, 2 male platties, and a lone cherry barb.

My plan is to move the small tetras to the 46 along with 5 pearl gouramis and the 2 albino cories. Moving just the guppies to the 29. In the 55 are the roselines, getting a proper school of panda cories, and I'd like to get several angels but reading that might be a bad plan.

What would you guys do with this. I'm really set on pearl gouramis, and want atleast 1 angel. And we're pretty attached to the fish we have.

2. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I think your plans for the 46 and the 29 are great. Roseline Barbs are schooling fish so I would recommend at least 6+. This is of course your choice as everyone has their own opinions on schooling fish and proper numbers. A proper school of Panda Cories is a great idea too. Again, I would personally recommend 6+. As for the angelfish, it depends on the temperament of your barbs. I wouldn't be surprised if your Roseline Barbs decided to nip at the beautiful fins of your angelfish. I wouldn't add angelfish to this tank unless you are willing to accept that it may not work. Good luck! :)

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Cories need groups of 6+ of their own species. Not mix and match. What will you do with the other two species? I'd rehome them.

If you want angels in your 55 you need to get rid of all the types of cories, as angels need higher temps than them.
    Corydoras aeneus, oiapoquensis, seussi, haraldschultzi, adolfoi, sterbai, duplicareus, and gossei are high temp cories that will work with angels. Only get one species, as mix and matching species is not OK.

Otos need groups of 6+. Neons need groups of 6+.

Roseline barbs need at least a 75 gallon, so rehome those. And yes they are a schooling fish, so 6+ in a group....

4. OP
    OP
    L

LazloNew MemberMember

I actually just "rescued" the barbs. There's only been 3 since they were young and they were in a 72 bow with tons of other fish from small to large. The tank had been leaking and the guy was running it about 8" deep and filthy. So yeah it won't be an ideal setup for them but definitely better. They've been in my 38 with a couple platties and seem very active but not at all aggressive. I also plan on switching to a 90g but no idea when. Do you think they just won't work in a 55? Could I add smaller ones to their school? I've never seen them this big, but can get some maybe 2.5-3" for $24 each or juvies for $9 each.

5. Anders247

Yes, you can add smaller ones to their school.

6. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, most barbs are very grouporiented, theyll recognize their own quickly. They also worktogether in a way i dont even see tetras do.
    My gold barbs work to kepp peas and wafers from the pleco, some distract while others hide it.

id also like to add that i disagree with the school of 6 for neons especially. Thats a safe number for lots of fish, but lets face it neons are easy to pick on, so id go min 8.

7. OP
    OP
    L

LazloNew MemberMember

Also if I scrap the angels idea what are some options that would be in the cooler temp range of the roselines and cories? Only problem there is I keep my house 78-80 in the summer as ac expenses add up. My tanks have been solid at 78 not sure I can change that.

8. Plecomaker

Ps, a 90 with barbs, possibly a gourami, depends on the personality of the barbs, and maybe even some loaches would be a cool mostly peaceful asian tank.

9. Plecomaker

Gold barbs
    zebra danios also thrive at a variety of ranges

10. Anders247

Zebra danios won't like it that high permanently. They should be kept in cooler temps.

11. Plecomaker

He just asked for a cooler temp range. Didnt see thatit would still berunning hot.

12. Anders247

His temp is at 78..... and he said he's not sure he can change it.

13. Plecomaker

Lol, yeah i know now. Thats what i just said. I hadnot seen that part.

if it wasjust barbs and cories, i bet you could get in some kind of loach group if this is still the 55.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice