Redline Tetras

Cazeil

I'm looking for a small tetra, the size of neons or glowlights, that would compliment Bleeding Heart Tetras (BHTs). I'm thinking about redline tetras. Are they hard to get? Expensive? Difficult to keep? Thanks and happy fishing !

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you

chromedome52

Hyphessobrycon amapaensis is a fairly new species, you will likely have a hard time finding them. Might be a bit expensive for an otherwise ordinary type of tetra.

Cazeil

chromedome52 said:
Hyphessobrycon amapaensis is a fairly new species, you will likely have a hard time finding them. Might be a bit expensive for an otherwise ordinary type of tetra.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Castiel*

Have you ever considered maybe a school of cherry barbs or are you looking for tetra only?

wapooshe

I mean cardinal tetras do have a full red belly, if you don't mind the blue.

Cazeil

I love the idea of Cherry Barbs. I don't know anything about them... off to read.

Castiel*

Cazeil said:
I love the idea of Cherry Barbs. I don't know anything about them... off to read.
If you keep your temp around 76 degrees and you have decent plant cover they will get along fine with almost anything. They are somewhat shy, but very peaceful. They do establish a hierarchy and will chase each other around a bit, but this is normal. Males get a bright bold red, while females are some what red but have a slightly brownish body. Keep them in larger schools, 6 fish being the bare minimum.

What size is your tank? I may have missed you saying the size already.. lol

Cazeil

WiFi said:
If you keep your temp around 76 degrees and you have decent plant cover they will get along fine with almost anything. They are somewhat shy, but very peaceful. They do establish a hierarchy and will chase each other around a bit, but this is normal. Males get a bright bold red, while females are some what red but have a slightly brownish body. Keep them in larger schools, 6 fish being the bare minimum.

What size is your tank? I may have missed you saying the size already.. lol

It is a 30 gallon tank. It only has plastic plants in it right now. I was thinking that I would learn the fish first, because they are more motivating, and then the plants. So, are plastic plants good enough, as long as they provide good cover? Seems like fish might be sensitive to the difference. It is usually around 72 degrees F from one smallish heater. So I will need to look into heaters. Comments and recommendations on those would be much appreciated .

Castiel*

Cazeil said:
It is a 30 gallon tank. It only has plastic plants in it right now. I was thinking that I would learn the fish first, because they are more motivating, and then the plants. So, are plastic plants good enough, as long as they provide good cover? Seems like fish might be sensitive to the difference. It is usually around 72 degrees F from one smallish heater. So I will need to look into heaters. Comments and recommendations on those would be much appreciated .
Yeah 72 is pretty low for most tropical and community fish. I would invest in a decent adjustable heater (more will have to chime in on that or make a different thread to get noticed) mine are all preset aquaeon heaters and I wish I spent the extra dough on an adjustable one.

Plastic plants would be fine, just as long as they can find some dense areas to hide in sometimes, they do like a little open swimming space, so don't go too crazy.

Cazeil

I like the "don't go too crazy" part . I will start a new thread for heater recommendations.

Castiel*

Cazeil said:
I like the "don't go too crazy" part . I will start a new thread for heater recommendations.
I have probably $80 worth of fake plastic plants I bought over the years sitting in my fish tank cabinet. I always ended up replacing them with silk ones or live plants .

Cazeil

The plants that I have were given to me for free. I like the idea of silk. On the off-chance that I purchase some, I'll go for silk. As long as we're chatting, what live plants are easiest to start with?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom