Status
Not open for further replies.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice Rose!!! And yes it is blooming!!! off-ice only sends the best plants
and your babies grow more beautiful everyday. Thanks for sharing.
Carol

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i agree that off-ice does send the very best plants, but this particular one came with Sneezy, Dopey, and Doc when they showed up from my fish man. He heard about my constant problem with the nitrates and said I needed to have REAL plants. I had only had the Madagascar Lace plant until then and he sent me the sword and Anubias. I got the Nana Petite in Marty's tank and some Riccia from off-ice. They are GORGEOUS specimens. I will do all my plant shopping with him from now on. Just couldn't resist planting these others though. They aren't doing as well, but hopefully my purple thumb (any color but green) won't kill them. The fish are just ga-ga over the plants. I heartily recommend them to any owner who loves their fishies. You will have more fun watching them play around the plants like they never did around any plastic ones! Noel has done more tricks that he has taught himself around the Lace plant and it cracks me up sometimes. The leaves fall down like arches and he weaves in and out and leans against them and pushes on them with his body and makes them into the shape he wants to swim through, then goes through his "tunnels" over and over. It is fascinating. (who says fish don't know what they want or don't have memories, eh, Emma?)

Rose
;D

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
About the memory thing.. is that really true? I thought it was proven that a fish's memory was only 3 seconds...? ??? I've always been confused on that one

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try doing the same thing a few days when you are around the tank. It sounds funny but you will learn something about your fish. Every so often, put your hand on the side of the tank and get down so you are looking in and talk or sing to him. (Don't laugh now, this works) After a couple of days they will recognize your voice and come to the front when they hear you and hover until you leave. Now all I have to do is open the lid of the hood and he heads up to be fed, he remembers that sound as meaning "FOOD". He chases the ottos and he knows they always hide behind the filter. He will be swimming around and be minding his own business and all of a sudden stop and go see if they are still there. I think these things kind of indicated to me he is remembering some things. If it had been just one of them, I would have said dumb luck, but this has gone on for months now. And the plant thing goes on every day regular as clockwork. He knows just how he wants them and he "arranges" them to suit him then he "plays".

It has been a lot of fun, but like any pet, they take on more personality the more time you spend with them. Maybe that is wishful thinking (?) but even so I am having a blast and he is definitely doing cute things. THAT's ENTERTAINMENT! ;D Good luck with your babies, and have some fun.

Rose, Noel, Marty, Tuck, Nip, Sneezy, Dopey, & Doc

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do notice that when I get close to Mitch, he will "show off" in front of me and just swim the length of how much space my face takes up in the glass, right in the front.. He is a big show off. lol !

and I am trying to train him to eat from my hand but that's really hard!

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
;D

LOL  You may get a LOVE bite one of these days.  Yes, they will bite (gently usually) if there is something in the water with food attached.    I don't think he can hurt you but be very sure you don't let him hit a fingernail or something else.  They are such little pigs, they dart first and look later (but we love them anyway).    I had a piece of bloodworm that Azul (my dear departed Betta) didn't eat and I couldn't reach it so I went after it with a Q-tip and the little stinker grabbed the Q-tip away from me and into the water.  I just wasn't holding on very tightly and was VERY surprised at the YANK he gave.  They are really quite strong!  LOL  After that it was 5 or 6 worms and then we will see...  Oh and I don't know if anyone has mentioned, if you are giving him the color enhancing pellets like Hikari Betta Bio-gold, they are great for them, BUT don't ever no matter how much he begs give him more than 2 in any one day or you will have the most constipated little betta ever.  He should also be getting some blanched peeled frozen pea once every 4 or 5 days to keep his little insides working well.  I just take one frozen pea and put it dry in the microwave and zap it for about 30 seconds or until it is about room temperature.  Then you take the skin off and give him a piece about half as big as his eye is.  Don't feed him anything else when you do.  That should be his meal at that time.  It won't hurt him to learn to eat his "veggies"   ;D  in fact his body will thank you for it.  Don't be too surprised for the first time if he turns up his nose though, just don't give in and feed him something else.  Just try a different pea next time until you can get him to try one chunk.  Then resume the regular feedings.  He needs to learn to eat greens occasionally.

Rose

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you point out the Lace Plant in one of these pictures? I think i know which one it is, and if I'm right, It's absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!

And thanks for the very awesome feeding advice you gave me, I will be trying that

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
;D

VERY PROUD but I don't suppose anyone around here knows that ;D !

I am trying to get a photo album together at my website:

The site is just starting to be set up but you all are welcome to visit anytime. It has not only fish photos, but pix of life in the Midwest. Work in progress. :

Rose

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Madagascar Lace Plant is the tall plant behind the cave.  Its leaves look like green lacy spider webs.  They float and sway in the movement of the water and need for the water not to move really fast so they are a perfect Betta plant because Bettas don't like quick currents either.  It is grown from a bulb, like a tulip.  You just put the bulb in the substrate with its tip up and cover it and wait.  It takes about 2-3 weeks to see much but once it starts WOW!  You will swear it is only going to be 2 or 3 inches tall forever and all of a sudden away it will go and you will have 18 inches and it will be BEAUTIFUL!  They aren't really expensive.  I would recommend getting one through off-ice@plantgeek.net.  I got a plant from him last week and it is such good quality I couldn't do better.

Good Plant Hunting!  I know Mitch will love you for it!  Isn't it strange what we find ourselves doing for them?   ;D  

Rose

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

We are playing tag today aren't we?  LOL 

Probably not going to be on the Plants too much as I am a newcomer except to those I have researched for the tanks I have.  I do have a really good book on Aquarium Plants that has a lot of pretty color photos and information and that is how I kind of knew what would maybe work.  I have a lower light situation, having the Hex tank and the little Eclipse 3 so I needed to watch the needs of the plants for light mostly.  Also since my tank is tall rather than long, I needed to try to stay away from the ones that S-P-R-E-A-D O-U-T  so I visited the plant forum that Butterfly recommended.  (and I now recommend to you)

They not only have all kinds of information but also have a Swap Meet to make available plants to people who need them and to give people who have extras a place to get rid of them.  It is really cool!  Give it a look - No Charge to look    (no charge at all to join - you may have to buy the plants if you don't have something they want to swap for but I found the price for the quality very reasonable.)

Rose

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes that Lace Plant is beautiful - I will check with my LFS this weekend and see if they have it, along with some Java Fern to put in with my larger community tank - no bettas in that one, because I have alot of fin nippers in the bigger tank.. semi aggressive. But! it is beautiful and if my lfs doesn't have it, then I will order from the site(s) you recommended. Thanks for all your input (Spoiled little Mitch and I thank you dearly )

By the way, my name is Jaime, lol

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are most welcome, Jaime! Now we await pictures. ;D

Happy Planting!

Rose

p.s. Mitch should be spoiled. They are MUCH funnier when they are all full of themselves ! Tell him Noel and Marty say hello!

EmpPleco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LoL I will get you guys pictures of all my beautiful fish as soon as my stupid digital camera will start working right. I got a good one of one of Mitch's tankmates (Kermit the frog, lol) but can't seem to get any of any of the others. The frogs make such good tankmates for Mitch though -- so cute together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom