Reddish Sore On Chromis

Sylv.17

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently bought five blue/green Chromis and noticed a reddish sore on the side of one of the fish close to its gills. The fin on the injured side is completely immobile, yet the fish swims normally and seems unfazed. I’m not sure if it’s an injury or a disease...does anyone know what it is? I have attached a photo.

Attachments

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not sure on the issue you presented (so I'll link @Nart ), but you might not know that chromis will often kill eachother as they get older. They're often sold as schoolers, when they can actually get pretty mean towards their own species. You may be aware and have plans in place, but just in case

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That looks like a wound from another fish to me. Yeah, like what @Lorekeeper said, they are very aggressive towards each other. Most people that keep them in a school slowly loses 'em just due to them attacking one another.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's one of the reasons why I have never gotten a Chromis, even though their color and low price make them tempting. Even people with very large tanks have had issues with them picking each other off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom