Reddish-brown hue atop stem plant

HenryC

Hi! I forgot about the name of this plant, but I'm sure you guys will know what it is in a second, I believe it is fairly common. I got tons of these in my planted tank, and I've noticed the top of the stems have started to develop this reddish brown hue on them, only the top of each stem has it.

Link to the photo:

Is this bad? Is it algae or too much light "burning" the plant? I got about 12 hours of lighting and I'm using a Nicrew full spectrum LED lamp, it says in the specs it is 21w and 6500K if that is any relevant to the question, I also dose Aquarium Coop easy green and have DIY osmocote root tabs.

And while we're at it, could anyone tell me if its normal for the plant to "split" and grow another arm in another direction? You can see what I'm talking about in the picture, you can see one forking away from the main stem.

Thank you!

kallililly1973

Not sure the plant water sprite or wisteria? but its probably getting that pinkish red hue due to being close to the light. My bacopa did that in my outside 29 gallon from getting direct sunlight. Plants look healthy to me as long as there are no strands coming off which would indicate algae. Plants usually branch off after being trimmed or propagated but I don't see why a healthy plant wouldn't do that naturally as well

HenryC

kallililly1973 said:
Not sure the plant water sprite or wisteria? but its probably getting that pinkish red hue due to being close to the light. My bacopa did that in my outside 29 gallon from getting direct sunlight. Plants look healthy to me as long as there are no strands coming off which would indicate algae. Plants usually branch off after being trimmed or propagated but I don't see why a healthy plant wouldn't do that naturally as well
Thanks! I do trI'm them at least once every week and a half, they grow super fast lol. So fast that I'm starting to heavily plant a 20 gallon tank with the trimmings, love this little plant.

I'm guessing it's not bad then? Being closee to the light that is. Would be even more cool if they start to develop red hues :)

kallililly1973

HenryC said:
Thanks! I do trI'm them at least once every week and a half, they grow super fast lol. So fast that I'm starting to heavily plant a 20 gallon tank with the trimmings, love this little plant.

I'm guessing it's not bad then? Being closee to the light that is. Would be even more cool if they start to develop red hues :)
Your definitely doing something right for them to be growing that nice and also to be able to fill another tank with the trimmings alone. I think the only way to actually turn them red might be CO2 injection. But just getting that with a non-co2 tank is still a win IMO.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom